Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Drive Removal / Tools needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Primary Drive Removal / Tools needed

Hey Gang,

I need to pull the primary drive (compensating sprocket, primary chain and clutch) on my 04 Fat Boy to check the stator/rotor.

I removed the outer primary cover and realized I don't have all the tools I need. Does anyone know what type of snap ring pliers I need to remove the snap spring holding the pressure plate on the clutch? Also, I need to know the socket sizes for the main bolt/nut securing the compensating sprocket (looks like 1.5" socket will do) and the main clutch mounting bolt (I'm told this takes a 1 3/16", "deep" socket...I don't know how deep.

Can anyone tell me exactly the pliers and socket size (diameter and depth) I will need to pull the compensating sprocket and clutch?

Will I need any other special tools to replace the rotor/stator if needed? BTW - I'll be using a wedge of wood to lock the primary chain/sprockets to loosen/reinstall these bolts/nuts.

Thanks gang

Old 06-22-2009, 05:31 PM
hrdcre
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compensating sprocket takes a 1 1/2 " socket (got mine at sears) and the clutch basket takes a 1 3/8" deep socket the (nut is LEFT hand thread). I don't believe it had to be a deep socket but thats the one sears had. I just needed a short extension. To copy HD's sprocket holding tool I took a 1/2" thick plastic cutting board and cut 3, 1 1/2" wide strips about 4" long and screwed them together staggered about 7/8" so they look like steps put that between the chain and sprocket when loosening or replacing the nuts. I used a small pair of straight snap ring pliars to remove snap ring. Do not use an impact wrench. If it is that tight use a breaker bar with a 2 or 3 foot pipe over it. Mine broke easy with just a breaker bar.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hrdcre,

Thanks for your reply and the info. I'm off to Sears for the sockets and snap ring pliers.

I thought the bolt/nut for the clutch basket removal was a deep, 1 3/16" socket (not 1 3/8").

Thanks

Regards
AlbertG