Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLSTSB Crossbones front wimppy brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:54 AM
warrenrx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy FLSTSB Crossbones front wimppy brake

Has anyone come up with a aftermarket brake system for the 2009 crossbones. I would really appreciate and good advise. I didnt know if the setup was the same on the FX springer as with the FL. I must replace the front rotor and add a min of a four piston caliper on the front if possible. Please point me in the direction, part numbers would be appreciated greatly. This bike has no stopping power at all. I am used to dual front discs and this is a major set back. Thanks guys for any help

Old 07-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by warrenrx
Has anyone come up with a aftermarket brake system for the 2009 crossbones. I would really appreciate and good advise. I didnt know if the setup was the same on the FX springer as with the FL. I must replace the front rotor and add a min of a four piston caliper on the front if possible. Please point me in the direction, part numbers would be appreciated greatly. This bike has no stopping power at all. I am used to dual front discs and this is a major set back. Thanks guys for any help
Try the 2008-2009 CVO springer.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM
DARK TRAIN
Advanced
Default Brakes

Hello, I placed a PM 4 piston front brake, with is a serious upgrade in brake performance compared to the original. But don't expect a springer fork to brake as good as a dual disk. Also the springer fork "works" while stopping, too much brake power could damage your fork...

Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

i see in your sig you have a busa.
the hd breaks do not compare to a japanese bikes at all.
i use wilwood break calipers for my bike they aree far superior to anything out there including brembo.
you can give them a call they might have something.
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-...9-GP/index.asp
alttho hauling down a 700 pound dinosaur dont expect it to stop as good as the busa. but i understand what ya are saying.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

If you come from a sport bike, you probably never use your rear break.

Train yourself to use the rear break on the x-bones. You will be surprised how good (relatively speaking) it helps you to slow down.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the post interesting. Just the other day, I was in a tight spot and I locked up the front brake. Actually both front and rear. What more can you expect?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the front brake does leave something to be desired...
kinda of gotten used to it... just have to realize that she ain't no sportbike...

I have seen a set up from Performance Machine... pricey....

Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I share your pain. I have an 06 Springer and have similar complaints with the stock caliper. While I don't expect to do stoppies, I do expect a bit more grab. The stock single piston caliper used to be stock on all HD's starting in 84. At some point they decided to add multi-piston calipers on other models but left the Springers as is.

20+ years ago it was a concern for the front end to fold up on heavy braking but it is much more anecdotal folklore than reality anymore. A lot of variables play in and its not just a 4+ piston caliper. What brand of fork assembly you are using is another. Also, HD has made improvements to their fork design to prevent twisting. See attached pic of the extra tapered sleeving added to the rear legs. Those aren't HD forks but if you look at yours you will see that reinforcement is there. Bottom line, if you go with an aftermarket multi-piston caliper designed for use on an HD Springer front end you should be fine.

Until recently, if you wanted to try to stay with HD parts you were out of luck. However, the 09+ CVO Springers do come with a 4 piston front caliper (07-08 CVO Springers still use the single piston design). Since the cross bones uses the same new design Springer front, it's very possible the 4 piston caliper could be a bolt on upgrade. If you want to look into that check the Springer CVO parts catalog at your dealer.

If you are on a budget, I suggest a phased approach. Look for some aftermarket pads (Lyndall Z Gold for example). They will help some. A floating rotor will also add some grab. Many companies make them but HD has the best price for a floating rotor for as low as $139.99. Check the P&A catalog in the multi section for styles.

If you change the pads and rotor and are still unsatisfied you can look at the caliper upgrade (HD or aftermarket). Several aftermarket applications allow you to use your HD rotor. So you won't throw money away if you go with a floating rotor first.

There are several companies that make calipers for Springers with 4-6 pistons. Performance machine is a popular choice by many but certainly not the only game in town. A google search or a few minutes flipping through a Custom Chrome or Drag Specialties catalog should reveal more options.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails FLSTSB Crossbones front wimppy brake-3.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor

HHI makes a four piston caliper for the bones. Excellent quality, easy installation.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:40 PM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

The factory HD master cylinder sucks butt. If part of your mods will eventually be new aftermarket hand controls complete with master cylinder, problem solved. My 1st HD thought better pads would help, nope, thought braided lines would do trick... nope, PM caliper and disc... not by themselves. Once hand controls were changed to non Harley Master cylinder ... well what do you know... brakes hard like a rock just like my old sportbikes. Now my second HD, I kept stock caliper and disc, just changed out Master cylinder which came with new hand controls ... well what do you know... brakes hard like a rock just like my old sportbikes. Now I have 1 finger effortless front braking.

So 2 HDs, 1990 and a 2000 came with mushy front brakes. Brakes hard as rock once HD master cylinder replaced with after-market unit. Just my take on the subject.

Last edited by BigJoeNY; 07-30-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: FLSTSB Crossbones front wimppy brake