Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jockey shift install with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, but the mounts are '99 and down. You can get FabKevin to make you some conversion mounts......

The following users liked this post:
davidstipek (09-26-2018)
Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Taildragger1
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On the "05 Night Train project list is a LaBriola shifter. Question:

I would like to use my [I]sentimental[I]Hurst shift **** from my high school '68 Camaro. It's the white ball (you've seen them), kind of heavy, at least it seems that way compared to the size of the (tiny) shifter arm on the 5 speed trans. I've heard of heavy shift ***** bouncing and causing problems. I would rather avoid the tank shifter as I already have one on another bike and I think the jockey is just cool. Thoughts?

P.S. Anyone have any experience with the Baker N1 shift drum? Will the neutral ling still work?

Thanks

Lance

Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM
hksigman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taildragger1

I would like to use my [I]sentimental[I]Hurst shift **** from my high school '68 Camaro. It's the white ball (you've seen them), kind of heavy, at least it seems that way compared to the size of the (tiny) shifter arm on the 5 speed trans. I've heard of heavy shift ***** bouncing and causing problems. I would rather avoid the tank shifter as I already have one on another bike and I think the jockey is just cool. Thoughts?

P.S. Anyone have any experience with the Baker N1 shift drum? Will the neutral ling still work?

Thanks

Lance
I was looking for a baker for my 06 deluxe and was told they didnt make one for my model year.....
Dr V-twin was lookin into it for me....

davidstipek (09-26-2018)
Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 PM
veegee
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to use my [i]sentimental[i]Hurst shift **** from my high school '68 Camaro. It's the white ball (you've seen them), kind of heavy, at least it seems that way compared to the size of the (tiny) shifter arm on the 5 speed trans. I've heard of heavy shift ***** bouncing and causing problems. I would rather avoid the tank shifter as I already have one on another bike and I think the jockey is just cool. Thoughts?

Thanks

Lance

I have the N1 setup in my 00 Ultra with a Baker 6-speed and i love it. It like everything else took a little getting used to. Kick down thinking your in 1st and its nuetral only happens a couple of times.... LOL.

davidstipek (09-26-2018)
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Taildragger1
Intermediate

Cool! Does the Neutral light still work?

davidstipek (09-26-2018)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:06 PM
veegee
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool! Does the Neutral light still work?
Everything works the same. But like i said prior, you go to take off in "N" and almost drop it, only happens 1-2... . I love it.
I would like to put one in my Dyna and jockey shift/foot clutch that bike.

davidstipek (09-26-2018)
Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Taildragger1
Intermediate

OK, I just installed a LaBriola foot clutch set up on my '05 Night Train yesterday. Looks like a quality unit. I am noticing that it shifts pretty hard. Clunks and all that, as if the clutch isn't releasing all the way. Checked adjustment, a little free play etc., it all looks good. Used HD Fluid this time. (I can't remember what was in there before) I'm scratching my head to think of why it is more difficult to shift.

Also, should I be concerned about the lack of a stop at the bottom of the foot clutch travel? or just be careful not to push too hard?

Thanks

davidstipek (09-26-2018)
Old 05-18-2011, 02:19 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

OK, I just installed a LaBriola foot clutch set up on my '05 Night Train yesterday. Looks like a quality unit. I am noticing that it shifts pretty hard. Clunks and all that, as if the clutch isn't releasing all the way. Checked adjustment, a little free play etc., it all looks good. Used HD Fluid this time. (I can't remember what was in there before) I'm scratching my head to think of why it is more difficult to shift.

Also, should I be concerned about the lack of a stop at the bottom of the foot clutch travel? or just be careful not to push too hard?

Thanks
I have one on order and will be watching to see how yours works out.

davidstipek (09-26-2018)
Old 05-18-2011, 02:33 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I have my foot clutch set so that it takes a minimal amount of foot motion to let it all the way out. I find this make staking off quicker. Muy tank shifter has a grease zerk on it that I keep well lubed. It may sound clunkier than the foot shifter as I have much more mechanism, but nothing I ever thought was noticeable. Did you get a Jockey shift?

Drew

davidstipek (09-26-2018)
Old 05-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Taildragger1
Intermediate

As far as I can tell, there is no way that the LA set up could be causing the hard shifting. I'm almost sure it is something I have done.....but what? Still thinking...

davidstipek (09-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Jockey shift install with pictures