Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long trip advice !

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM
zuperman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking long trip advice !

Hello all , i'm leaving tomorrow for a long trip , well not that long, but i mean 4 days on the road with my bike ( hd crossbones ) and about 1500 miles ahead.

So i was wondering if you could give me any tips regarding what to carry, what not to forget, things to avoid, etc etc.

I think i'm carrying the basic stuff, but since this is my first trip like this, I don't know, probably i'm taking everything wrong, even clothes.

weather conditions, hot and no rain, full 4 days of sun.

For those interested, i'm travelling all around Uruguay ( jeje here is the link http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...ar=Uruguay&z=7 )

thanks all !!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 AM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer

Firstly..i hate you!!!!! LOL

Tool kit, basic allen keys etc, one of those puncture repair canisters can be a god send ( ive been there)
credit card and a camera...you all set. Enjoy, and dont forget to post us some pics

Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jumporjerkoff
Firstly..i hate you!!!!! LOL

Tool kit, basic allen keys etc, one of those puncture repair canisters can be a god send ( ive been there)
credit card and a camera...you all set. Enjoy, and dont forget to post us some pics
They work for tubed tires? News to me.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Water- you can get dehydrated pretty easily on the road

Sunscreen-

Tool kit- Allens, small adjustable wrench, multi screw driver, pair of pliers

roll of electrical tape, and zip ties with a pair of side cutters.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 PM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
They work for tubed tires? News to me.
Im sorry, only realized the xbones has tubes.

Instead of your smart comment, why dont you give the guy some advice, after all thats what he was asking for in the thread.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

In addition to the good suggestions you already have...

Tire irons, a tube patch kit, and a pump if you are riding unkempt roads.

Layers of clothes for hot, hot and wet, cool and wet, and wet conditions no matter what the forecast is.

Your tool kit should have a tube of super black Permatex RTV gasket maker in it.

Spare set of bulbs.

First aid kit, traveling size.

Large neckerchief that will make a tournequet.

Knife.

Ride safe.

C#

Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Definately tool kit. Sun screen. When you think you do not need that sun screen you will wish you had it when the day is over. Rain gear because it is always good to have it. Nothing worse than being wet and cold. Have fun and be careful!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 AM
psdj52
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All the above suggestions are good. The only thing I have to add are fuses. Nothing like breaking down for an electrical issue and your $18,000 bike won't start because of a $.99 fuse.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jumporjerkoff
Im sorry, only realized the xbones has tubes.

Instead of your smart comment, why dont you give the guy some advice, after all thats what he was asking for in the thread.
Sorry you took it as a smart remark, wasn't meant to be. Actually I was hoping you had had some success with it. Had a flat on a roadtrip recently and it wasn't a fun experience. 3hrs and $400 later we were back on the road. But had it been in a desolate area or after business hours it would've been alot worse.

If I ever get some mad money I'll probably switch out my wheels for some tubeless. Or trade the bike.

Couldn't think of anything special for zuperman to bring besides some basic tools as was already posted.
But at least I may have saved him from carrying a useless can of puncture sealant.

Only other thing I would suggest is not to ride after the business hours of the nearest tow or service. Or bring some camping gear.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 AM
twisted125
Road Master

I like all of the previous posts, I would add an extra pair or two of tall socks for your boots incase you get caught in some rain and your feet get wet. haha Im reminded of this - "There is one item of G.I. gear that can be the difference between a live grunt and a dead grunt. Socks. Cushioned sole, O.D. green. Try and keep your feet dry. When we're out humpin', I want you boys te remember to change your socks whenever we stop. The Mekong will eat a grunts feet right off his legs." - LT. Dan Taylor hahaha
Knife - small tool roll - bandanna to cover face if it rains - clear glasses - and you should be good! Have a great ride!

Quick Reply: long trip advice !