Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing shocks

How is the easiest way to remove the shocks off a rocker without removing the rear wheel.. Got the two front bolts off (too easy), the rear ones are a little tricky, cant fit a socket through the side and not enough leverage with a wrench from the bottom.. any and all ideas welcomed... thanks

Old 02-26-2010, 12:21 AM
NORTHWESTJIM
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe What, I've never wrenched on a Rocker just wondering if a lift would help?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 AM
RaaDeuce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, my friend to tell you I had the worst time doing the lowering bolts on the rocker, it took me 2 days, to get the shock off, but after that it's a walk in the park, when sitting on the bike the left one was way easier than the right, I snuck a socket with extension in, and got it off, from under the belt, but the right one man oh man, it was beyond a bit$h, It was too dang frustrating, but the best thing to do is lift up the bike from the exhaust side, toward the back, make sure that rear tire is up in the air, then put a 3/4 closed wrench and hammer that son of a gun, till it starts going, that's how I did it, hope this helps, I just literally did it today, well finished it tonight, started last night. Good luck, let me know if you need any more help.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I remember right take the left one out first and then the right one comes out. A hammer and a box wrench works to take out the rear bolts

Old 02-26-2010, 07:48 AM
DaveFLSTFB
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
A hammer and a box wrench works to take out the rear bolts

Dave

Old 02-26-2010, 08:34 AM
mke125125
Road Captain

mine isnt a rocker but I did employ the old boxed end wrench/hammer trick and it worked fine

Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, fricken hammer it is, if i could use blow torch I would...jk... The bike is on jack stands in the front and got a regular floor jack on the back to maximize space... I do have a bike lift but that just got in the way.. Thanks for your responses...

Old 02-26-2010, 10:16 AM
phantom rider
Tourer

I used the lift to get it up and then jack stands to give me some space. I then used the lift under the rear tire to take any pressure off the shocks. I ended up using a racheting box end wrench and a cheater bar (ended up bending the wrench, and my fence is missing a pole now). As the bolt backs out, you have no room to get the wrench off until the bolt is all the way out. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:18 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFLSTFB

Dave
Ditto.

Try www.fatbillscustoms.com there is a how too on shock replacement if you dont have the manuals.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Box wrench is the only way to go with those bolts. My socket wrench will not fit neither will my braker bar. Those SOB's are on there too! Dropped a nut trying to get mine off. I got smart and threw a pipe over the other end of my box wrench to get the leverage I needed. Finally came off!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Removing shocks