Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertically Challenged Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wife is 5'2 1/2" and rides a Del;uxe. I narrowed the seat pan from the front to about halfway back with a bandsaw. then slightly trimmed the foam to make the seat nearly 2 inches narrower in the front. I also switched her stock bars for a set of Stock Heritage bars, and she now reaches everything just beautifully. I am in the proces of some major changes to the bike, (hard bags, Cruise control, sound system, and Due to the hard bags, I'll be going with a different solo seat without the rail. I am looking at a mustang, and a corbin, and we will try both to see which one she likes best.

Pan was easy to trim, Just unstaple the cover, peel it back, and remove the foam. Mark and then cut with a bandsaw. Clean up the cut with a file, then cover it with a piece of small diameter, split hose, taped into place. Then simply replace the foam and cover. its surprising how much you can trim it and how easy it is. Seat still looks totally stock, but its definatly customized.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:31 PM
luxlo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I do not need to make changes after all!

I love riding the softail deluxe, but I'm having an issue with the heat coming from the engine. Any ideas on how to solve that problem? Thanks!

Last edited by luxlo; 05-08-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:22 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by DocJ
True enough, but as DeluxeLady pointed out, it is a very top-heavy bike. My mom would like a bike that is still confidence inspiring (meaning the bike would likely need to be lowered), yet comfortable and still able to inspire that confidence on the highway. Whereas, right now, she gets blown around a lot.
Doc, been few years, do you have an update?
she will realize how horrible a sportster is when she rides a softail..

for you other guys, is this the correct rear / mid mount kickstand for a softail slim?

Now In: Parts for Harley Davidson → Kickstands → Hidden Spring Kickstand for 2000-Up Softail, Rear Mount

Price: $199.95

Hidden Spring Kickstand for 2000-Up Softail, Rear Mount

The best rear mount kickstand for your 2000-up Softail™. The Telescopic kickstand features an internal spring loaded ball bearing lock for a clean look and optimum functionallity. All mounting brackets are machined from polished stainless steel to elimate chrome wear in high contact areas. Kickstand is chrome plated•Designed to compliment all Ness accessories.
• Adjustable in height by 1"
•For Rear fitment on 2000-up Softail™ models.

SKU: 11-031
Weight: 4.00

Old 01-29-2014, 01:20 PM
04ctd
Banned

my local parts Indie does not want to order the "Arlen Ness 11-031" because all the parts lists say it WILL NOT FIT the 2013.

does anyone have the 11-031 on a new model bike?

edit, from my Indie's email:

I called Arlen Ness. According to them, it will fit. If you'd like to order the part, call me before 2PM and I'll have it by 10AM tomorrow.

Last edited by 04ctd; 01-30-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by luxlo
I love riding the softail deluxe, but I'm having an issue with the heat coming from the engine. Any ideas on how to solve that problem? Thanks!
you can install saddle shields, they are covers to reduce the heat coming of the rear head that is closest to your crotch. you can buy them in clear, leather, or black

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id242.html

Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 PM
04ctd
Banned

the Arlen Ness 11-031 works on a 2013 Slim...but...

-the back of the tab the kick stand pivots on is not chrome plated, it’s just bare metal, with residue of the welding on it. I am pretty sure that will rust up

-the hole for the set screw was either cross threaded, or full of chrome. I could barely get it to screw in by hand, it fell out, and I forgot about starting it in until after I had put it on, then it would not go in straight. so I had to leave it out.

-one of the mounting bolts had bungled threads. The wife wanted to help put it on, so I let her put the first bolt in…and it was tight, so she tried to thread it on in. That bungled up the threads, and it took ~2 hours laying on the cold concrete to retap that hole.

the little plastic tabs UNSCREW..they do not pull out.

it's a heavy unit

i had a spare HD bolt that matched, so i tossed the bungled chrome Arlen Ness bolt, and used my spare (I had to cut it to length)

it works

FWIW, I screwed mine ALL THE WAY in...and it was the same height as the stock kick stand (you can use them both at the same time).
so the 11-031 does fit with a lowered OEM bike, but if you put on Air Ride, or the progressive lowering springs, you might have to do something to the kickstand.

some pictures show a slug up inside the kickstand, but I did not take mine apart to try and lower it more.

you want to use a BOX END WRENCH to tighten the jam nut, I double wrapped mine in masking tape, and used an adjustable wrench (i was pretty bent after having two screw holes bungle, so I just used the adjustable wrench)

it bit thru the masking tape and marred the finish and chewed into the soft metal of the jam nut.

you want to start that rear bolt into the frame before you snug up the front bolt, and be aware the rear bolt hole extends to where the swing arm would hit, if you used a very long bolt (the Arlen Ness bolts are pretty short)
the front bolt hole bottoms out.

but all that aside, the wife likes it & uses it.
i left the front kick stand on, for when normal size people ride it.

IDK, YMMV.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:17 PM
phamtom
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a lower profile seat. its crazy how an inch can make a world of difference, especially when coming to a stop

Old 08-02-2019, 07:39 AM
seventhirty
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gregski
Try the Reach seat on it. My wife has it on her Deluxe. It lowers you and moves you forward. With the stock seat she could not flat foot at a stand still. With the seat her feet are flat and knees bent a little. She loves it.
Most definitely works, im only about 5'6 now i touch flatfoot on my street bob