Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:21 PM
FrankT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy engine noise

Hi Guys,
I put about 250 miles on the bike today and I noticed that the top end seemed very noisy. Sounded like a buzzing noise or a bunch of locusts or a loud sewing machine. Bike only as 2500 miles (09 Fatboy). Dealer says all sounds are "normal" but that is what they always say. Bike seems to run fine, although it did shut down on me once today (while stuck in traffic). I'm guessing that is normal and is a safety feature so that it does not over heat? Also, are the sounds that I am hearing normal? Are they simply the sounds of the lifters moving up and down? Appreciate the feedback as this is my first Harley and still trying to get used to all the noises. It seems that whenever I think I have heard them all, a new one appears! Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When did you first notice the noise, during ride, after or when stuck in traffic? Engine should not shut down if temp. gets too high the heat management system will shut down the rear cylinder until you get going. Make sure oil level is in operating range. All Harley engines have some top end noise, especially when hot. Compare it to another Softail to see if yours is excessive.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankT
Hi Guys,
I put about 250 miles on the bike today and I noticed that the top end seemed very noisy. Sounded like a buzzing noise or a bunch of locusts or a loud sewing machine. Bike only as 2500 miles (09 Fatboy). Dealer says all sounds are "normal" but that is what they always say. Bike seems to run fine, although it did shut down on me once today (while stuck in traffic). I'm guessing that is normal and is a safety feature so that it does not over heat? Also, are the sounds that I am hearing normal? Are they simply the sounds of the lifters moving up and down? Appreciate the feedback as this is my first Harley and still trying to get used to all the noises. It seems that whenever I think I have heard them all, a new one appears! Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.
I have 08 and the top end kind of sounds like a sewing machine when its good and hot. Never had it hot enough to quit or even cut 1 of the cyinders out so can't help you there.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM
BillP.
Intermediate

After 40 plus years of bikes I got my first Harley in 05 - Fatboy. I too thought something was wrong given the amount of engine noise. Also told by dealer it was fine - after many miles, including a 2,000 miler in the past two weeks, bike runs great but still makes the same amount of noise - guess they are right - suckers just make the sewing machine racket. Love the sound of the pipes though and got 50 plus MPG!!

Enjoy and keep the rubber side down!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

top end noise is normal. My 06 is noisy compared to the honda I had before. I wear ear plugs and have loud pipes.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:48 PM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool

Hi Guys,
Thats normal noise, I had the same issue with mine, the 96 engine is a lot more noisey that the others.

Reddog GB

Old 08-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Albreave
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The noisy "B" motor is normal. That counterbalance assembly just makes a damn racket. My wife's dyna is much quieter by comparison.

However, it shutting down on you is not normal. If it happens again may wana get that looked at.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 AM
coop57
Tourer

Counter balance make more noise for sure.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 AM
FrankT
Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys, I feel better. I will keep an eye on the bike as far as the shutting down is concerned. That was the first time that ever happened. Still have 2 more months of warranty so if anything else happens, I'll be sure to take it in.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I feel better. I will keep an eye on the bike as far as the shutting down is concerned. That was the first time that ever happened. Still have 2 more months of warranty so if anything else happens, I'll be sure to take it in.
Ride the crap out of it for the next two months and see what happens. Make sure to get anything fixed you can under warranty.