Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it Possible?!?! Help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Is it Possible?!?! Help me out.

I am currently relocating my coil and getting rid of the horn. In the 5 years I have owned my bike I have probably used my horn twice and It did not even get anyones attention at highway speeds.

There was a thread I can not find on here that showed how to hook up a garage door opener and mounting it under your dash. Can someone post that for me?

What I want to know is if it is possible to use the two horn wires and hook them up to a garage door opener and use the horn button as a switch to open and close the garage? Would those wires work?

I really want to do this and if you guys could help that would be great.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can tell you that the switch would work, but the problem is that the wires going to the horn are supplying it with 12V power. Probably not a good idea on a garage door opener that probably calls for 3.3V. If you trace the power wire to the battery and bypass that, then what you're thinking would work. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:30 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior

Thanks. I will have to figure something out. i was hoping it would be a straight solder.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:33 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Virginia, and I don't know a whole lot about MD law. But in VA, without a horn, I'd fail safety inspection. Make sure you check how legal it would be to not have access to a horn.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by stevevfd
I live in Virginia, and I don't know a whole lot about MD law. But in VA, without a horn, I'd fail safety inspection. Make sure you check how legal it would be to not have access to a horn.
Same in NY !!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...itch-pics.html

Not sure I'd get rid of the horn, just do what's in the link and be happy..

You can't run 12V to the remote but you can use the switch to close the circuit that the button on the remote uses, if the horn switch has two wires and does more than just close the circuit to ground. I would have to see the remote but most have a little switch under the button, a little quality time with a DVM and soldering iron would do the trick. Then you would have to bring the horn switch wires to the remote. This could be a whole lotta work, the more I think about it..

D

Old 01-29-2011, 10:21 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by stevevfd
One inspection in MD so never have to worry.

Originally Posted by twistr
Same in NY !!
Glad I only have to do one inspection.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior

Doug... Thanks man. I think I am just going to do what everyone else has done and solder two wires with a switch to the opener. I might mount it under the seat somewhere.

Doug i am ditching the horn because my coil is going where the horn is supposed to be.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:23 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Harley makes that kit that allows you to keep your horn and simply hit the high beam to activate the opener. It's $130 but you'd keep your horn and not have to cut wires. It looks like it just plugs in with a wiring harness.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Sure, relocate the coil. But MOVE the horn; don't ditch it! If you need it ONCE every 20 years, it's worth it!

Quick Reply: Is it Possible?!?! Help me out.