Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

constant brake light

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
0311Firefighter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default constant brake light

So i installed the rear turn signal re locators on my 07 night train so i could put the wifes sissy bar on, i followed the directions to the point that came with them and never touched the brake/rear lights, but after I reconnected everything my brake light is on constantly, checked all the contact in the harness on the rear with a ohm/power reader and everything has power, but the brake light just stays constant. any ideas help suggestions are appreciated thanks.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turn the key to accessory... then off... then try it. If it doesn't reset, one of your wires is connected wrong.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:24 PM
0311Firefighter
Intermediate

will try right now

Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
0311Firefighter
Intermediate

that didnt work, i dont see how i could have gotten a wire crossed because i didnt get into the wiring harness of taillight/ brakelight, im starting to think if maybe the switches in the levers are maybe stuck

Old 03-13-2011, 02:14 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you happen to change brake levers on this mod?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

Check the bulb. Filament might have broke and crossed.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
0311Firefighter
Intermediate

no change of the levers, it is the led hd taillight, but it has been on the bike for 2 years with no trouble, im just stuck now and will prolly have to pay the dealership to diagnose it

Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you tried checking your brake light switch? I had to replace mine just three weeks ago because it got stuck at the ON position. On regular style tail light this is bad because it causes the light bulb to overheat and the socket to start melting. When I went to H-D to get a new one, they told me it was a pretty common problem. It is easy to test if this is the case. Follow your rear break line back from the master cylinder. Along the way you will find a bend in the line with a pressure switch in it. It is a silver fitting with two black wires plugged to the end of it. Gently but firmly pull one of the wires off (it is a spade type connection). Turn your bike on and see if your tail light is still on. If it is not then that is probably the problem. Verify this by testing both your break levers. You should see your brake light come on when you apply the front break but not when you apply the back.

You can operate the bike with this switch unplugged until you can replace it. You will just need to make sure you brake with front at all times (I sometimes only use my rear brake if I just need to decelerate some).

Let me know what you find out. If it is the brake switch I can give you advice on replacing it.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 PM
0311Firefighter
Intermediate

Thank you Skeezmachine, that was the problem, you saved the bike a trip to the dealership. I am glad I found this forum, and yes any info on replacing the switch will be much appreciated. Thanks Again

Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Deadwood Dick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having this exact same problem. It turned out to the front brake switch. It appeared that the right lever may have bumped into something and got part of the housing tweaked. I carefully tapped it back into position, and works perfectly now.

Quick Reply: constant brake light