Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" quick release vs sport shields - buffeting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
armorup
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16" quick release vs sport shields - buffeting?

I've got a 16" quick release shield on my '06 Night Train that causes my helmet to shake at any decent speed. Half helmet, full face, tall boy seat or standard gunfighter. I prefer to ride without a shield, but after a 200 mile run in the rain up Hwy 5, I realized I need something to at least get the wind/rain off my chest.

Taller shields don't work either. I originally had a 19" quick detach with the same issues. Both shields were HD.

Anyone using a decent sport shield that helps and isn't for decoration, but doesn't cause the wind buffeting??

Some guys in the fairing business have told me to put deflectors on my lowers to cure the issue, but I have a hard time with the look of those bolted to the forks.

Ride on!!!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have an answer for you, but I sympathize. That's some expensive trial & error you are going through... those 16" and 19" QR shields go for over $425.00 each.

Have you determined where the buffeting is coming from? If not, try moving your left hand around when you are experiencing the problem. It might be turbulent airflow over the top of the shield, or it might be coming up from below. If it's from the top, try adjusting the vertical angle of the shield. If it's coming from below, maybe a windshield bag or weather stripping around your headlight would help.

Sorry, that's all I got. I'm curious to hear what the solution turns out to be. GL!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:48 PM
armorup
Cruiser

Yeah, I traded a guy on this forum for my 19" that came with the bike. Unfortunately, I can't adjust the angle of the HD shield. The guys at Rifle (rifle.com) thought the wind was coming below, which I would agree with, and suggested the lower fairing to attach to the forks. That would be a visual design commitment I don't know I could do to the Night Train.

"What is happening with your buffeting problem is the convergence of air from all directions on you; up, down, left and right. Lowers will direct air down to reduce the air coming from under the windshield. Here's a representation of what the lowers will look like:
http://rifle.com/Assets/ProductImage...rley-fxd_m.jpg "

Is that a stock rear wheel you had chromed, by the way?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, got it. The fact you were able to do a trade took the sting out of experimenting, so that's good. The folks at Rifle may be right, but I hear ya about those lowers on an NT. It won't stop air coming from left/right, but I'd try stuffing a towel around the headlight area as an experiment first, to see if there was any improvement.

As for the wheel, no, those are actually the optional Harley "Profile" wheels (AKA, smoothies) that came with the bike when I got it new. It's a solid forged and polished disk in the rear, and an aluminum hoop/hub up front w/ stainless steel spokes. Some Simichrome and elbow grease make the rear look almost like chrome though. Thanks and good luck!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

If you have a visor on your half helmet try removing it. Worked for me.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 PM
armorup
Cruiser

Cool wheel Mr. Lucky.

Soft 02 - Thanks, but no luck when pulling the visor off my 1/2 helmet. I have never had this much trouble before with airflow.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

What about those lower fork air diflectors. I havent tried them but have heard good things.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Yoric
Intermediate

I bought a pair of HD saddlebags from local guy who sold his NightTrain to buy a bagger for two up touring with his wife. I complained to him about the buffeting I was getting on my FatBoy and he said the he put a WindVest windshield on his NightTrain and the difference was like night and day.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Ive had good luck with my Memphis Shades Sport Shield, I think the difference is that you can adjust the angle of the shield. my friends love the Windvest products

Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 PM
armorup
Cruiser

I will check out the Windvest products and I am thinking that I am going to end up with a sport shield of some kind. If anyone wants to trade a sport shield for my HD quick detach, let me know!