Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed big city thunder quiet baffles!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 PM
bourgeoisboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed big city thunder quiet baffles!!!

I had to let you guys know how pleased I am with the BCT QQ baffles. I have an 09 deluxe with V&H BSS. It was a little too loud for my taste so, I installed V&H quiet baffles. The sound was ok, but I never was totally pleased with it. To me it sounded good at idle but not so good driving down the road. For me it was too much of a muffler type sound and it felt like I lost a little midrange power. With the BCT it has more of a full range sound to it. More low end rumble with also more trebly sounds. They are a little bit louder than the V&H quiets, but not enough to matter to me. They are still quieter than the stock baffles and have a much better tone. I got back all that lost midrange power also. It actually seems to run better than with the stock baffles. Being a musician, I know tone is very subjective, but for my tastes The QQ's are the way to go.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Book-it
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I hear u.
I put BCT in mine it was very loud
so I cut the old baffle in half welded it to the BCT
it sounds very good now and power (seat of the pants) is good to
How far did u put them in the exhaust

Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM
bourgeoisboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drilled the hole for the bolt 7-3/4 from the exit end of the exhaust pipe. This put the cone 1/2" away from where the smaller portion of the pipe starts. The lady from bct told me that would give me the deepest and quietest tone with the best performance.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Book-it
Cruiser

yes I agree had mine right at exit
then moved them in 6 inch way better
I just used the same bolt hole with the old baffle(half of it)

Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I used the QQ2 Baffles about 6 1/2" up the pipe like the folks at BCT suggested. Loved the tone but was setting off all the car alarms in the neighborhood at an idle. So I made these from a few washers that I cut in half and welded into a piece of exhaust pipe I got from Pep Boys. I put these at the end of the pipes and I retained the tone and reduced the volume just enough.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-20-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
ajpointless
Advanced

Wow Bluehighways, I am impressed. That looks like a great idea. I am wondering just how the sound changed - DB and Tone - from moving the baffles? I just ordered a set of BCT QQ's for my V&H Short Shots (they are WAY too loud for me), because the guy I talked to at V&H actually refered me to BCT after I told him I wanted to bring the noise and tone (but more so the noise) down. When I asked him about the V&H quiet baffles for the SS pipes, he told me that the BCT QQ's were quieter and worth the investment. So I ordered a set after talking to a BCT engineer a bit about them.

The main thing is, I was going to install them in the stock position that my current baffles are in - near the end of the pipe. What does moving the baffle further into the pipe do?

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been thinking of getting some quiet baffles. How much quieter are the V&H ones compared to the stock V&H baffles?

Also what are you doing with the V&H quiet baffles?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

i've been thinking about getting the BCT Monster's.. i like loud.. it makes the panties drop..

but if anyone can find any comparison videos between the QQ's, monsters, and stock im sure some people would appreciate it

Old 04-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have BCT mounted in the stock holes and they are loud, sets off car alarms everywhere. They have such a nice tone when revving up going down the road, sounds like a racecar.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:43 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a set of Rinehart 4" slip-ons, which my Dyno guy says are too 'free flowing', which causes loss of low end torque.

I was told to use the Big City QQ baffles with the existing Rinehart baffles. This allegedly quiets down the Rineharts, while restoring low end torque.

Does anyone have any experience using the QQ baffles this way?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Just installed big city thunder quiet baffles!!!