Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror adjustment...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 05:10 AM
Bad Mojo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror adjustment...

So I'm loving the new Night Train, it's a huge difference from the Bob... But I'm having an issue getting used to the mirrors. On the bob they were high enough and out enough that I could see the road behind me as well as on the sides - all I ever needed was a quick heda turn to know I was safe to change lanes.

On the Train, all I see is my shoulders. I can angle them out to get a look at the road behind to the side, but there is no way to see behind me... I can't tell if I'm getting tailgated, I can't watch out for any reckless cager behavior, etc. I have to twist in the seat and actually look behind me to make sure there's no fast approaching vehicles before I make a lane change.

Is there a set of aftermarket stems/mirrors that would push the mirrors out a bit? Maybe it's something that I just need to get used to over time?

Thanks much!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:11 AM
chivohead666
Cruiser
Default RE: Mirror adjustment...

I have the same problem. So im gonna put some apes on my train.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:43 AM
Bad Mojo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: chivohead666

I have the same problem. So im gonna put some apes on my train.
Hmmm... That's a thought too. I did like the bars on the bob...

Old 10-18-2006, 10:45 AM
ratzila
Tourer

When I put the drag bars on my FXST I could not see anything in my mirrors. So I searched on this board and found that some people are using the kuryakyn eclipse mirrors. I bought a set and they work. They stick up higher and out further so I can see whats behind me now[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 10-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Bad Mojo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ratzila

When I put the drag bars on my FXST I could not see anything in my mirrors. So I searched on this board and found that some people are using the kuryakyn eclipse mirrors. I bought a set and they work. They stick uo igher and out further so I can see whats behind me now[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Sweet! That's what I was looking for

Thanks rat!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:37 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My apes made rear view vision much better, however, I don't know if constantly watching behind me is any safer. Cars will still drive like cars, tailgating, not paying attention, discounting the importance of giving a bike space. The more attention I pay, the more frustrated I get, but maybe that is just in L.A. traffic.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:29 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I have placed mine so that I can see behind me if I "duck" my shoulder. Drag bars aren't made for rear view mirrors, that's for sure... on some older bikes I used mirrors that dropped below the handle bars... they were shorties that were inverted...

I have gotten used to it, really... the only time it really bothers me is when I'm riding in formation and i'm trying to keep an eye on the bikes behind me in case they have to drop out... since I don't have a radio.

C#

Old 10-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Bad Mojo
Tourer

Good points!

What worries me most is being stopped at a light. In my Rider's Edge course they taught us to stop at a slight angle so we could hit the throttle and move between the cars or to the shoulder if a car came up behind us not paying attention - Essentially, stopping with an "out" if being crushed between two cars or rear ended seems eminent. With these mirrors, the guy behind me could be leveling a howitzer at the back of my bike and I wouldn't have a clue

I am getting a little more used to them though, I did some tweaking and managed to get a spot where I could kind of look around my shoulder, which is good enough for now, but I think I'll keep an eye out for stylish longer stems...

Thanks again!

Old 10-19-2006, 05:50 PM
RandyM1911
Tourer

Even though I have pretty good visibility with the stock mirrors on my fattie I never fully trust them. Just like when you're driving your car there are blind spots that your mirrors won't pick up. As a point of safety I try to always swivel my head and look over my shoulder when making a lane change. It's a good habit to get into and just might save you from stumbling into the path of a dozing cage operator... That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:21 PM
nitetrain
Cruiser

How about inverting them/hang them under the bars

Quick Reply: Mirror adjustment...