Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal connector help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Turn signal connector help?

I am getting ready to relocate my front turn signals soon. I don't want to cut and splice wires. I would rather just cut the wires at the connector and then use a new connector and pins. I would reuse the old connector if possible but with my luck every time I try to pull the pins from connectors I mess them up. So new ones on hand would be of great value and time to me. Does any one know what part number the connector is that I will need. I do know that the pins are #73191-96, RECEPTACLE, CONTACT, 20-16 GA. BTW I can not look at the connectors as I am not home until the July 4th weekend. Just trying to have every thing there when I get home. Thanks

Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
matt816
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds crazy but when I made my bars and internal wired them, I just zip tied them tight and stuffed them under the tank. I tried to take the harness apart but gave up 30 min later and said F it. Mines an 05 but if you just slide the tank back and do what I did it, it'd probably save a bunch of hassel. Should be the same for yours.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 PM
milo303
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually a pretty good inquiry..

I'm curious to know where to find new connectors as well.. I have a feeling it's just a google search away though

Old 06-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by matt816
Sounds crazy but when I made my bars and internal wired them, I just zip tied them tight and stuffed them under the tank. I tried to take the harness apart but gave up 30 min later and said F it. Mines an 05 but if you just slide the tank back and do what I did it, it'd probably save a bunch of hassel. Should be the same for yours.
It's not a problem to slide the tank back and zip up the wires. But it is impossible to pull the wires thru the bars with the connectors on.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 PM
milo303
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
It's not a problem to slide the tank back and zip up the wires. But it is impossible to pull the wires thru the bars with the connectors on.
Are you familiar with the cotton ball and shop vac trick?

I've never done it but I've heard about it thru this forum

Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 PM
2WHEELFEVER
Tourer

Originally Posted by milo303

?????

Old 06-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

Originally Posted by milo303

The problem he's referring to isn't actually getting the wires through the handlebars, it's the fact that the connectors won't fit into the holes to pull through the handlebars in the first place. You have to cut the wires at one end in order to pull them through the bars and then reconnect them once they are through. What he wants to do is just have a new set of wires ready to go so all he has to do is unplug the OEM harness and plug in his replacement without having to splice/solder wires on the bike itself.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You got a 2011 with the canbus system... haven't seen those connectors yet are they the same as on the older model?

If they are, this should be the procedure - see picture

Attached Thumbnails Turn signal connector help?-wire-terminals.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

I simply want the little boy parts that crimp on to the wires after I cut them and I want the little girl part that the little boy parts go in to. Like I said I always screw up when I try to pull the wires from the connector.
I don't want to F up my weekend home.

I need these parts

Last edited by Misbehaven; 06-10-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Vic Bronco
Road Captain

For the amount of time it would take you to track down the parts (including the time this threads been running), it almost seems easier to just cut, re-solder and shrink wrap... really isn't that much of a hassle. It's your bike, so do what you want, but it seems less likely that you'll F up a plug and need a new one if you just solder the wires where you cut them. Then if you F it up the worst case is you pull them apart and re-do them.

Quick Reply: Turn signal connector help?