Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so then what basic tools do i need

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 AM
rgjujitsu
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so then what basic tools do i need

To do basic stuff on my bike. Where do you guys buy yours? I don't wanna go crazy, but are there a few things considered basic?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:53 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple of links. Do some searching around on here there have been recent tool type discussions.

36 piece

50 piece

The torx and hex sets are good start. You'll need some basic wrenches and 3/8" socket set will get you started.

I try to stick with Craftsman tools but there are other brands with warranties etc. Not sure how much work or what you intend to do, but check out Harbor Frieght for a motorcycle lift/jack. You can pick them up with a coupon for under $70. I purchased a low profile one from Sears that cost a little more. And of course there are many other brands that vary in price.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 AM
rgjujitsu
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Craftsman inch (not metric) socket set, lifetime warranty which they have with all their hand tools. Inch size combination wrenches, 2 sizes of adjustable wrench.Multiple sizes of regular tip and phillips screwdrivers, make sure you use the right size screwdriver or you can bugger the slots of the screw. Torx drivers. Foot-lb and inch-lb torque wrenches. Allen hex wrenches. Blue and red locktite. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

when buying a Torx set make sure there is a T27 in there. Not all sets have that one.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

If you need single size of Torx bits you can buy decent ones at Advance auto...they are lifetime and not too too expensive...You missed a good deal at sears around X-Mas ...it was a 75 piece for something like $55...I bought my Torque wrenches at Advance and Harbor freight. cheap but works. Cheap feeler gauges, , ratchet exptensions, 36MM socket.

Mine is pieced together from years of collecting...I started 20 years ago with a 100 piece set from sears at X-Mas...i like nice expensive tools but buy bargains... Saturday night auctions and yard sales are a good place to get a deal...

Oh... blue and red loctite...

Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not done any major surgery; pretty much just accessories installation and pipes A/C etc... A full set of Torx (up through T55) and allen wrenches is a must. A standard set of open end wrenches (plus an adjustable) and a set of sockets with a 3/8" drive is also a must. You'll need the various length extensions and a swivel attachment as well. Various size standard and phillips screw drivers, pliers or channel locks. If you're going to do any wiring work you'll need some diagonal cutters, wire stripper, soldering iron, solder, 14-16, 18-20 GA butt splices and heat shrink tubing. The rest I buy as I go. The H-D accessory instructions state which tools are required and you can download the instructions prior to purchasing anything, so you have an idea what you need. You'll still make a couple of trips to the hardware store in the middle of a mod, to buy those things that make the job easier. The above tools will get you through most maintenance as well.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Oh... blue and red loctite...
Yeah...lots of it. I have not had a project yet that called for red but I've used lots of blue.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's one metric nut on your Harley ... a 10 mm for the battery.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rgjujitsu
To do basic stuff on my bike. Where do you guys buy yours? I don't wanna go crazy, but are there a few things considered basic?
There's one basic tool that I didn't have (after years of collecting tools) when I got my first bike .......a low profile ATV/Motorcycle jack. You don't really need a jack to do basic maintenance like fluid changes and such but it sure is handy. You can purchase a pretty good jack for about $100. The thing I like best about the jack was how much easier it is to clean the bike. Once your get the bike in the air you can rotate the wheels (instead of pushing the bike back and forth), clean the underside and have things at eye level.

Quick Reply: so then what basic tools do i need