Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 FXSTS Dies while riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
nmaineron
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago a friend brought his bike to me doing the same thing,the vintage here is different his was one of the first wideglide evos with the horseshoe oil tank.What I finally found was that as the bike got hot and especially the oil tank things got tight on a wire that was routed by the tank to the coil was being pinched by the expanded tank.I had a similar problem with a Heritage which ended up being a broken eyelet on one of the terminals on the main switch,it would vibrate off and weld itself to the dash metal under the switch.Funky wire things cause major headaches,I think you have something like that going on!Good luck

Old 05-29-2019, 09:11 PM
Truknoris
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kettenhund75
I was doing some more research on this and read Bout a guy that had a problem with his system relay. Is that only on EFI bikes? Is there a relay that the run/off switch powers up to supply power to systems on the bike? If so, a sketchy connection there could be causing this problem.
Did you ever figure out this problem on your uncles bike? I have a 02 fatboy doing the exact same thing, thanks.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:38 PM
mikedebe
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Same thing as Kutten

I went on this site to try and find why a buddy of mine 2000 heritage is shutting down for no rhyme or reason and I started reading some of these post and everything that Kutten stated my buddies bike is doing the same thing. It first started with the battery blowing up one day. After battery got changes out it was okay for a little while and then it started just dying once in a while. Couple of weeks latter -today- it will only run for about 5 minutes and then die, it's not just the engine that dies, all power dies in the bike. And when this all started the speedometer went crazy to. Today I worked on the bike trying to troubleshoot the problem. Started the bike up, it starts right up, runs for about 5 minutes and dies, dash lights all go out to. Turn key switch off wait about 3 minutes turn key switch on and everything is good, bike fires right up and dose same thing all over again. I took dash and seat off wiggled and moved wires all around while going through the cycle of the bike running and not having power and nothing changes. Looked under the dash and all in battery compartment for loos wires and nothing.
I am a old timer and know the 1950 through 1980 bikes well but don't know these newer ones because even though I have many of then- never had to work on them, mine never seem to break.
Something tell me that this is a main breaker of some sort, I know with household electric panel breaker when they go bad they will heat up and click off and when cool down will work again. Problem is I don't know were this beaker is without tearing the bike apart looking for one.
I know on my 1970 shovelhead I had a main breaker coming off the battery, don't see one under the seat on this 2000 Heritage.
Looking for any advise. Thank You