Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossbones Fluid Change???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 AM
asg13
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crossbones Fluid Change???

Ive searched a bit but am getting some different answers (manual vs Opinions) I read the manual made a change in 09????My bike is a 2009 FYI

I will be changing all three holes...

What does each require as far as AMOUNT is needed 32 oz???????? Motor, primary, tranny...

thanks

Not looking for a brand here..just an amount!

Last edited by asg13; 02-08-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:25 AM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your not gonna get it narrowed down here. I generally use Syn 3 in all 3 holes, except this last change when I used some RevTech syn in the oil and tranny and their primary oil in the primary. Used the Revtech because it was handy that day and didn't feel like going to the dealer. I'll probably go back to Syn 3 next change. Lotta haters on Syn 3, but it's been good to me. Pick something, put it in whatever hole the bottle calls out and stick with it. Even though I used something different last time, it's probably better to stick with the same brand all the time. That is just a carryover from my aviation experience. Bad things have happened to heavy jets mixing grease in the stab trim motors.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 AM
asg13
Tourer

First post editied..I am looking for a quanity/amount here..not a name brand..

Asking for a brand would be worse than an OBAMA debate around here!!!!1

Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

As stated, you are likely to get more opinions than facts here on the forum...and maybe even ripped for simply asking the question because it has been asked so many times before and so you should already know as far as many on here might be concerned.

To be honest, I go by what the manual tells me as far as how and when. I figure who knows more about the scoot and what it needs than the people who make them. Again, there are folks on here who will tell you this is wrong and speak as if they know more about the product simply because they have one parked in their garage. Change it when the user's manual says to change it. Buy a service manual for your year model bike and follow the instructions as they are written. It is pretty simple provided you have the right tools.

As for what to put in? That is an even more loaded question on this forum. Again, for simplicity sake I would go with Harley stuff. The SIMPLEST (but more costly) approach is to go with Syn 3 since in can be put in ALL 3 HOLES. Doesn't get any less complicated than that. Five quarts should do you. One for the primary, one for the tranny and three for the motor although you will probably not use the entire third quart in the motor and end up with about half a quart provided you fill the bag to the proper level.

Otherwise the standard Harley fluids will work just fine. Just make sure you get what you need for both the motor and the tranny as there are different fluids for them when not using the Syn 3.

Good luck.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Qt in the tranny, qt in the primary generally just touching the bottom of the clutch pack and do not overservice read your manual on this one, it is right. I usually go with 2 qts + 22 ozs for the oil, leaving 10-12 oz in the 3rd bottle. That gets me a little over 3/4 of the way up the range on the dip stick. I do put a little oil in the new filter before I screw it on, although there is debate on the necessity of that.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by asg13
First post editied..I am looking for a quanity/amount here..not a name brand..

Asking for a brand would be worse than an OBAMA debate around here!!!!1
AMEN!

You need one whole quart each for the primary and the tranny. You will need three quarts for the motor but you will not use all three or it will be overfilled. I usually put in two and a half quarts then run the bike and test the levels under both hot and cold conditions. I then add a bit more to get it all the way to the proper level if it wasn't already. Generally I will end up with about a third of a quart left in the bottle that I set aside and use either to top off if needed between changes or to use up on the next change. If you just dump all three in you may start to see quite a bit of oil starting to show up in your air filter.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
asg13
Tourer

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
AMEN!

You need one whole quart each for the primary and the tranny. You will need three quarts for the motor but you will not use all three or it will be overfilled. I usually put in two and a half quarts then run the bike and test the levels under both hot and cold conditions. I then add a bit more to get it all the way to the proper level if it wasn't already. Generally I will end up with about a third of a quart left in the bottle that I set aside and use either to top off if needed between changes or to use up on the next change. If you just dump all three in you may start to see quite a bit of oil starting to show up in your air filter.
thanks Skeez..wish most were as straight forward as u...I seach hd forum and goole all the time..their is just so much CRAP out their, its hard to find an answer sometimes...hence the post..

Later

Old 02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Budmiester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QUOTE:
"Bad things have happened to heavy jets mixing grease in the stab trim motors."

True, but worse things happen when pilots try to trouble shoot flight control problems in the air. Run the checklist, set'er down. And quit jackin with the pickle switch!
Mad Dogs forever!

Oh ya,
I always run what the manual says. As far as changes, updates are made all the time. For the '08's, the first release did not have the Cross Bones in it. You had to make sure you got the "A" revision. They ended up at "C". Four versions in one year. I don't think any of the changes were to specifications. Fluid levels are fairly constant.