Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding pipes and a/c on deuce- do i need tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adding pipes and a/c on deuce- do i need tune?

Picked up an 07 deuce to replace my sporty. Going to add a set.of Vance and hines. Either short shots or straight shot pipes and a high flow intake of some sort. Question is being efi do I need a tune? Best bang for the buck? Probably not doing any other mods for awhile. So is the v&h fuel pak. A good place to start? Or can the dealer re map for that? Or what do u guys suggest

Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, yes. You'd be better off with a fuel management system. A stage 1 is typically pipes, ac and tuner. I've had the PCIII on mine since new. No issues, and the flexibility to tune to whatever mods I decide to make. You will get many other opinions on this I'm sure!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
TRUSTNOBODY
Cruiser

U dont need it but its not gonna be right. Ur gonna get alot of popping when u decelerate and your not gonna get any hp gains until u install a fuel programmer. I have a pcv with a custom map and it runs smooth

Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Yep, sure do. More air in, more exhaust out means you need a different fuel mixture. The dealer Stage 1 doesn't address adding fuel, it's only timing and higher rev limit.

I'm not going to get into which tuner is the best one, just tell you what works for me. I have the PCIII on my Deuce. It's been there since 2006 and has worked flawlessly. It was ordered from DynoJet with their suggested map installed.

It ran very well, but I had popping on deceleration. Took it to a local indy shop and had it dyno tuned. It ran like a different bike after that. Much smoother, a little better gas mileage, and seemed to start easier as well. You can hook it up to a computer and tweak the settings if you feel something needs to be changed. I've done it a couple of times. (Save the original map first, so that you can go back in case the change doesn't work.)

My bike only has the V&H ProPipe, and SE high flow air cleaner, and stage 1 so it's pretty much like yours.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer

Thanks guys. Figure asking was dumb if I needed one. Just trying to get the best for buck on fuel commander. Looking at the pc 3. And the fuel pack.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If your going with a Power commander I would suggest to get it through Fuelmoto a site sponsor here. They have great customer service and will give you great updated maps for your applications.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

What is dumb is NOT asking a question when the answer can save you money/time/damage. That's part of the reason behind forums like this one.
So, don't be bashful, ask away.

BTW, I did have one problem with the PCIII. Finding a place to mount it under the Deuce seat. There is NO extra space on these bikes.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by duecedog
BTW, I did have one problem with the PCIII. Finding a place to mount it under the Deuce seat. There is NO extra space on these bikes.
Power Vision solves that problem as it just flashes the ECM and does not have to be mounted on the bike. Of course it costs more though.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 PM
2003Custom1200
Tourer

So looked Ar the pc 3. Seen some of their.maps are use with o2 eliminators. Are any of you guys running these?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're considering other mods like cams, avoid the FuelPak. If not, it's a good bang for the buck. You can put one on and set it up in a matter of minutes, as long as you can find somewhere under your seat for the giant connectors. The actual electronic module is not very wide and there a few places where it fits. On my bike I have the large connectors sitting atop the + lead on the battery and is kind of wedged in there with the stock seat on.

Quick Reply: adding pipes and a/c on deuce- do i need tune?