Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Strut Mount Signals on a Blackline

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
gnormous
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Strut Mount Signals on a Blackline

I found a pair of Kuryakyn strut mounts LEDs on ebay cheap. I thought I would share my experience in mounting to my blackline as others might find something here useful for their own customization. The main challenge I faced is the strut mount signals I wanted were single intensity LEDs and without a dedicated brake light on the Blackline, you need a way to simulate a dual intensity bulb. Some trial and error, and two trips to Radio Shack later, I had a simple solution that works well for me. What I ended up with was a very simple circuit with 2 diodes and 1 resistor per side – about $8 worth of stuff. What this does is illuminates the LED at 100% for Brake / turn signal and at 40% for running light. Schematic is attached.

As far as using the Kurykn strut mounts on the Blackline, I’m happy with the look and the brightness; but, getting them to fit and not be chrome, was not simple. I had to machine the cutout with a dremel to fit the Blackline strut. I then sanded them and powder coated them black. The main body took the powder coating fine; but, the trim rings on the end are low density something and started to deform in the oven. Another minute and they would have been scrap. Alloy Art makes a really nice set specific to the Blackline; but will still need a running / brake light circuit like the one I used. If someone is aware of a circuit available commercially that would be great; but I could not find one that would work with the blackline.

Disclaimer: This is a science project – not a DOT approved solution. I share this so others can experiment as well and possibly improve upon my idea. I have had this setup on my bike for a couple weeks with no issues. Based on miles, it has been more reliable than stock because no burnt out bulbs in 400 miles. That said I’m not an electrical engineer; just a determined guy with basic circuit design and soldering skills.

Also, based on the LEDs you are driving, you will need to experiment with a resister that gives you the right difference in brightness between running lights and Brake/Turn. I used a 270 ohm resister. If you find the running light is too bright compared to the brake / turn, use a higher resistance value. Maybe jump up or down in 50 ohm increments. These parts are cheap so get a few and play around before putting it all together.

The blackline controller handles LEDs on the back just fine. I did not have to do anything additional to get the signals to blink at the right interval. No issues for me with security or blinking too fast. Interestingly the signal indicator on the spedo did blink fast (no biggie) for the first couple rides; after that, it also blinks at the right pace.

Attached Thumbnails LED Strut Mount Signals on a Blackline-20120407-imgp0194.jpg   LED Strut Mount Signals on a Blackline-20120407-imgp0195.jpg   LED Strut Mount Signals on a Blackline-led-circuit.jpg  

Last edited by gnormous; 04-11-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Nooovie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gnormous,

Great work on the signals and write up. You were asking about a commercially available circuit maybe for those who don't feel comfortable in slinging solder... in building my bobber, and wanting to fit 2 wire lights as signals/running lights, I came across these guys: canadiancruisercustomizing.com At $5 a piece, I've ordered a few of them, but have not had time to rip into the shrink tubing to see what makes them tick Not sure how to make them work as running/brake/turn signals like on our Blacklines rear lights though. Looks like we might have to chose between a combo of two functions?

Taken from the website:
Dual Circuit Converter

• Allows a 2 wire LED to Function as a 3 wire LED
  • Convert a 2 wire LED to function as a Running Light/Brake Light or Running Light/Turn Signal
  • Works on all LED PVC strips, Pods, 5050 Strips & 1156 LED Replacement bulbs
  • Excellent for additional side marker lighting or adding running/brake lights
  • Easy to install
  • No heat issues

****Installation Instructions*****
Dual Circuit Converter
  1. Wire with resistor is your running light wire
  2. Wire without a resistor is your turn signal light wire
  3. Single red wire to power wire on LED strip
  4. Ground the LED as usual