Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable shock questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 PM
strungxout
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable shock questions.

What's up guys. I just picked up an 01 Night Train. The guy claims that there is an adjustable bolt kit on it, and the rear end does seem to be a little lower than stock. I wanted to drop the rear end down about another inch, so I just got under the bike to check out the shocks and it doesnt really seem like theres much more room to drop it. Actually, the bolts look similar to stock length. I've never altered the suspensions on any of my Softails before, so I figured I'd post a couple pictures and see what you guys think. Are these stock bolts? And if not, does it look like theres enough space to drop it at all? I'm not sure how much space I'm supposed to allow on either end. I uploaded pictures of the bike as it sits now, and a couple pictures of the bolts. Thanks a lot guys.

Attached Thumbnails Adjustable shock questions.-shocks1.jpg   Adjustable shock questions.-shock2.jpg   Adjustable shock questions.-shock3.jpg  
Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

you have some room to drop it. It would not suproise me if you can get close to another 1" lower.

Thread the top shock nut out almost towards the end of the top of the shock and then back up the lower nut up against the bike and top nut.(making the shock longer) With your softail longer shock length is lower bike. A quarter inch of longer shock will drop the bike at least twice the distance .

Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
strungxout
6th Gear

Originally Posted by XARAN
you have some room to drop it. It would not suproise me if you can get close to another 1" lower.

Thread the top shock nut out almost towards the end of the top of the shock and then back up the lower nut up against the bike and top nut.(making the shock longer) With your softail longer shock length is lower bike. A quarter inch of longer shock will drop the bike at least twice the distance .
Thanks for the response. So I should loosen the end nut the whole way out to the end of the bolt, then run the jam nut up to it leaving none of the bolt left hanging out? Or should I be tightening the nuts up towards the shock, creating more threads? Thanks.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Strungxout,

You've got the right idea. To lower the rear, you must Lengthen the shock. Make sure you get both shocks the same length. Once you get your desired ride height you may need to re-adjust your preload.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 PM
OkieNiteTrain
Tourer
Default Lowering

I don't see from that pic that your NT has been lowered at all! The pic of the bolts looks stock as well. I have had bolts, 422s, and now SS, and I just don't see any lowering parts under your ride. Maybe my eyes are not as good as they once were. And by the way, I didn't drop mine for the pic. It can still go about 2 inches lower.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:36 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

remember the lower U go with bolt kits the harder she'll ride.