Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full exhaust requires what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 PM
TigerVMI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full exhaust requires what?

All,

I've just recently joined the forum and started trying to learn about Harley's.

I do not know anything about V-twin engines and was hoping you all could direct me to some information so I can start reading up on the topic and learn a bit more about the bikes and the engines before I go drop 15k + on a new one!

Also, I was recently told that if I got a full exhaust kit and wanted to keep the warranty/service plan I'd need to get an intake kit and a tuner. Can someone explain how that all works and what that entails?

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Someone told you wrong. Do a google search on some of your questions and the threads that are relevant will show up. Basically changing the air cleaner and exhaust will allow more air flow, leaning out an air/fuel ratio that is already lean from the factory. The new bikes, if that is what you're after, already will adjust within reason. Older bikes won't, therefore needing a "tuner" to help the computer run the bike with proper a/f ratios and timing adjustments. Welcome to the Forum and good luck!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 PM
NickW
Advanced

I just had new pipes and A/C installed on my 2012 blackline and am running the stock tune on it. I had a cobra auto tuner installed on it as well but had it taken off within 15 min of the installation because it kept sending a check engine light. The mech contacted harley and cobra and the conclusion came down to that the tuner was not compatible, even though it was made for a 2012 softail. The mech and harley said that the new harleys can compensate pretty well for minor changes such as this. With all that being said I am not a mech by any means and am going off of what I am being told. All I know it my bike seems to be running great and have had no issues so far. Although I would like to get a zippers thundermax with autotune when they are available for 2012 softails. Anybody know when that will be?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 PM
cb7263
Road Captain

My dealer told me that I need to do the whole thing pipes air cleaner and tuner, I have talked to a few peeps about this and they all said no, just put slip ons on it and you'll be fine. THEN they hear the cats are in the pipes and they say, oh, well then I'm really not sure. So I'm just gonna leave it the way it is for now and worry about later when I got more cash. Shoulda built it into the deal when I bought it.
Last thing I wanna do is void the warranty.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TigerVMI
All,

I've just recently joined the forum and started trying to learn about Harley's.

I do not know anything about V-twin engines and was hoping you all could direct me to some information so I can start reading up on the topic and learn a bit more about the bikes and the engines before I go drop 15k + on a new one!

Also, I was recently told that if I got a full exhaust kit and wanted to keep the warranty/service plan I'd need to get an intake kit and a tuner. Can someone explain how that all works and what that entails?

Thanks!

Tiger

What model and year?

Have you made any mods?

And Welcome to the cracker box.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:09 PM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to do everything all out once, but it is recommended. If you don't have the cash then wait to do it all at once if possible. If coming up with more cash for it is not in the plans for the future, well I rather do what I can until next chance and deal with reasonable sides.

As far as messing with warranty. I don't know for sure I have heard that line before, but I doubt it, but never did real research to validate. I never bought into that line before. I am sure if you start saying... how exactly does that mess up warranty, tones will change on the subject.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
TigerVMI
4th Gear

All,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the support.

TheTroupe: I don't have one yet... I am looking at a Fatboy or Fatboy/Lo 2012 or 2013 depending on whats available when I go get it. Other than exhaust I'm planning to get saddle bags, an engine guard and the ABS package.

rockinred: I've been told twice by two different reps at two different dealerships that in order to keep the warranty I'll need to get the exhaust, A/C and tuner done together as a package or do a slip on by itself. I did ask today, when at a dealership, why those modifications would void the warranty and was told that there is the potential to cause the engine to run lean if only the exhaust is done. I was then told that by getting a tuner and mapping it accordingly along with feeding it more air the potential to cause damage was reduced. Bottom line, the dealer told me that not doing it all at once could lead to engine problems that would no longer be covered. If you or anyone else can explain this so I can ask the question more effectively I'd love to hear it. The last thing I want to do is pour money into something that doesn't matter when it wouldn't void the warranty.

All,

I am planing to do the exhaust whether it's a slip on or full system at the time of purchase because I like the sound and want something louder than stock. Since I'm not getting this bike to go fast and peal out at a stop lights I don't care about increased performance unless it gets me more MPG. I DO care about the sound and the look; with added HP or torque being a nice benefit. Not sure if that brief caveat changes anyone's input but any additional advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by TigerVMI; 08-15-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 AM
dfndr
Road Master

For what it's worth, I rode my Softail for a while to make sure all was ok. Then, when I determined it was, I put on Rush full pipes, Fuelmoto intake, and Xieds. All ran well and I didn't believe those mods could possibly hurt a good running engine. It worked out fine. The warrantee timed out with no problems. The bike sounded much better, AND RAN COOLER. AND I DIDN'T NEED ANY EXPENSIVE AND HIT OR MISS DYNO TUNING OR ENGINE TUNER. Good luck. Let us know what you do and how it works.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

It doesn't matter if the tune isn't really needed. If you want to keep the warranty, you better do what the dealer says.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:46 PM
loadmastermike
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a nice sound at a decent price and something you can do yourself look at RUSH slip ons. The 2" baffles have some nice bark to them. JMO!!

Quick Reply: Full exhaust requires what?