Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bags and fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 PM
airborneretired
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bags and fairing

I need some advice I bought my first HD a 2008 softail deluxe, took the stock bags off and crash guard. I think I should of bought a Street Glide looks bad ***. So do I add the stuff to the deluxe and get old school and glide look or sale/trade in and maybe take in the shorts. Some of the stuff I have seen ebay has and of course HD has it too?

David

Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well that's what I'm in the process of doing over the winter, I'm keeping my Deluxe for a while and making it into a bagger, with hard bags and a batwing fairing, if you get the right batwing you can put it on and off in less than a minute, and change the whole look of the bike.
You can alway remove the hard bags too, although it does take a little longer.
Personally I think nothing beats the Socal look, but it'll be nice to have the option of some tunes too, although it aint cheap to give yourself these options.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:58 AM
airborneretired
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply, where are you finding your bags at? What about matching the paint. I guess this wont be cheap? I hope its cheaper than buying another bike.

David

Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which way you go depends on what you want.

For me, the Heritage fits me. I modified the controls to be 3+ inches forward and out and I am very comfortable on long rides. I want an SG but when I rode one, the mods I made to mine would need to be done on it too long before I would be comfortable. The boards are much higher on the FL and I feel like my knees are in my chest. So for me, I'm going to, at least for now, put a bat and hard bags on my Heritage and see how that goes. I will be investing another $4K + on the mods so I am quite sure I'll ride it like that for a while.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like being able to take the fairing off when I want and have a completely different looking bike. Even if you never take the stuff off and good to know that you can with a softail

Old 09-30-2012, 12:55 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the Fairing, look at Deadcenter cycles, or Hoppe, and for the Bags, it depends on what you want to pay, in an ideal world I would of bought a set of Sinisters, but the price of them is too much for me, if you look on Ebay for ''extended Harley bags'',
you'll see loads, if you dont want extended then there's plenty of those too, everyone has there own ideas of whether to go for ABS or Fibreglass, I cant help you with that one, other than to tell you that my painter told me that some Fibreglass ones can be a bitch to paint. I bought a complete set of bags with lids and hardware for $750.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM
CB1
Tourer

What you should do depends on what you really want and I'd throw in what fits you. I'm getting ready to build my Heriatge into a bagger with a fairing. So why not just buy a SG? Because for me I love the classic look of the Heriatge, but also the Heritage fits my height (5'6") much better than a touring model unless I lower it and loose some ride comfort. Also I am not a fan of the air shocks on the touring models, so that is another thing to replace. I'm not replacing my bags, just going to reinforce them since they are sagging a little and add a leather pros trunk.

My buddy contemplated building his fatboy low into a bagger, in the end he ended up just buying a Road Glide with the 103. With the money it was going to cost him, plus what he owed on his fatboy it was a wash as far as price. In the end he loves the Road Glide and doesn't regret it.

Price for you all depends on what you want. Want tunes and it delivered ready to go, yeah dead center, dragon fly, etc. Do a search and you can find others. Exotic body parts makes one pretty cheap and you can install your own stereo, not as sexy as some, but from what I have seen and heard they are a decent fairing. Don't want tunes, just the look; then look at Memphis shades bat wing. Either way, good luck and keep us posted if you decide to build yours into a bagger. Post pics!

Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM
elky72ss454
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Go rent a street glide and ride it a few days to make sure it is for you. I bought a 2009 Ultra Classic brand new. I had never ridden one, just thought it would be great. I soon found out that i didn't like it at all. I rode a street glide at a dealership and it wasn't for me either. I rode the Heritage and fell in love with it. I am on my second heritage now. I have a fairing on mine, only way to go IMHO. I'd just make sure I was comfortable on another bike before buying one....Good luck.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
gooberdog
Road Captain

Build yours however you like, that's what I did. Installed a fuel moto 98" conversion kit also. This bike was originally a 05 standard. Did all the work myself except paint so I saved a bunch of labor $'s.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM
homer713
Novice

Originally Posted by kozy22
I like being able to take the fairing off when I want and have a completely different looking bike. Even if you never take the stuff off and good to know that you can with a softail
nice bike where did you get your fairing from and what was the price for it?

Quick Reply: Bags and fairing