Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a better not perfect ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Looking for a better not perfect ride

I've got an 09 Heritage and I'm looking for recommendations for a softer ride.

I know that the best setup is the Shotgun Shocks and I've read the reviews, however I don't have the funds or justification to spend $1350 on a better ride so I want to start shopping for a used alternative to the stock setup that I can get for no more than a few hundred dollars.

The main reason why I'm not looking at the shockgun shock isn't because I considering buying my Son a dirt bike, I trying to put two of them through college.

Any recommendations?
Also, with the recommendations can I also get compared to the stock setup: better or a lot better or really a lot better rating?

Again, I'm not looking for comments related to shotgun shocks so save your typing if your only recommendation are those.

thanks,

Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find some one that bought Progressive 422's and is selling them to get the SS

Old 06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Most ignore how terrible the front suspension is with its 1920's damper rod technology. It also is less expensive to upgrade then the rear shocks and with the rear shocks, you can at least adjust them to make them more tolerable. Using a heavier fork oil does help the forks a little by reducing fork dive but it also creates a rougher ride and does not address the antiquated design and cheap light duty springs. Because of this I decided to upgrade the front forks prior to the rear shocks.

Check into Rico Intiminators with Racetech springs. And, Racetech springs with Racetech Emulators. With these setups you actually pick spring rates according to your weight and riding style rather then a "one size fits all". The racetech springs are also a constant spring rate which provides a smoother ride and better suspension then progressive style spring rates plus have only a 2% tolerance.