Notices
Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear shocks

Old 02-26-2007, 08:57 PM
jtfrog
One Of The Regulars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear shocks

Whats the trick to getting at the rear shocks to adjust them

Old 02-26-2007, 09:25 PM
nitetrain
One Of The Regulars
Default RE: rear shocks

Jt, as far as I know there's no trick. Your gonna have to get on the ground. All the info. should be in your manual. Pretty straight foward. Just make sure you adjust them both the same amount.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 AM
jtfrog
One Of The Regulars

Ya, I have a motorcycle jack and it kind of gets in the way. The lock nut is big so I will probably buy a cheap wrench and modify it.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can do it on the ground but it’s tough to get in there. I use a jack similar to the one pictured. I position the jack forward on the frame so the adjustment nut is accessible. Matching the edge of the jack rail with the rear frame cross member (where the front of the shock mounts) is how I line things up.

I marked the shocks before I started with a “borrowed” bottle of the wife's white nail polish to ensure I turn them the same amount. The center shock rod is 9/16. I’m not sure what the jam nut is, maybe 1”? I used a crescent wrench – biggest combo wrench I have on hand is 15/16 and that was too small. Then if you have the shock spanner wrench you are golden.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5927/4CDA37CA0F3C46C0BBB5A01DC7A1BFF3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2007, 10:20 PM
jtfrog
One Of The Regulars

Thanks, I have the same jack. I am adjusting to balance one up and two up riding. What should I start for an adjustment?

Old 03-03-2007, 12:51 PM
marty44
One Of The Regulars

I had an interesting time trying to adjust my Deluxe. Same issue as yours, it was too soft for 2 up riding. I started by buying the 1 inch wrench to loosen the lock nut. I don't have a jack so I drove the front wheel up on the step in my garage. I still had to cut the wrench in half with a hack saw to get it to fit and have enough clearance to loosen the nut. When got it loose I discovered the Harley guy sold me the wrong shock wrench. Another trip to the dealer and I was able to get the job done. Like the other guy said, make sure you put some paint or mark on the plate so you can get both shocks at same setting. I adjusted mine one full turn and they seem much better, much less likely to bottom out when 2 up. Some have gone more than one turn. Seems like it ought to be easier to adjust shocks on a 21st century bike but it is a Harley.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:29 PM
jtfrog
One Of The Regulars

I adjusted them out one turn and went out with the wife for a ride and what a difference it made

Old 03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
GADave
Road Master

ORIGINAL: marty44
Seems like it ought to be easier to adjust shocks on a 21st century bike but it is a Harley.
More specifically it's a softail. They're a lot easier to adjust on a dyna or a touring... especially the air shocks. That clean "hard tail" look you like so much about the Harley softail does have it's downside.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I would think they would have evolved to air shocks by now. Then you could adjust them very easily.
Tom

Old 03-04-2007, 11:10 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh. One turn was enough. I went with two turns on mine. I had installed the Burnout Cycles lowering kit. Wasn't sure if it would bottom riding 2-up with less clearance. It rode ok, except for the brick stock seat.

I guess we'll adjust it softer, maybe a hlaf to one turn and retry to see how it feels.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: