Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears Red Jack vs. Yellow Jack

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Sears Red Jack vs. Yellow Jack

OK, I know this discussion has be held but I can't seem to find a dedicated thread to address this specific comparison, so I'll start one.

I have the Sears Red jack and can pick up a used Sears Yellow jack for $85 dollars so I'm looking for a comparison to determine if I want the yellow jack even at half the new price.

We all know the J&S and Pitbull jacks are probably the best out there so let's not even go there. This thread is for only a comparison of the two cheaper options; the Sears Red jack (or similar) $108 on sale vs. the Sears Yellow jack (or similar) $162 on sale.

As mentioned I have the Sears "Red" jack and am happy with it other than when my Heritage is adjusted for 1-up, it sits just a bit lower than the Red jack will go so I have to roll the tire onto a 2X4.

With the shocks adjusted for 2-up the jack fits under my Heritage with no wheel lifts. This is a minor issue seeing that the shocks stay at the 2-up height normally.

The Red jack is solid and when I have the bike strapped down in the back with straps on both sides and one strap across my crash bars in the front, I can even jack the bike all the way in the air and sit on it without it even thinking about tipping.

Other than as mentioned the Red jack sits a bit high when lowered I don't see most people needing much more out of a motorcycle jack than what this jack or one similar provides.

Now, let's hear other Red jack (or similar) opinions and/or Yellow jack (similar) opinions.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Bought a Harbor Freight jack for my 13 Heritage and it works well.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Bought a Harbor Freight jack for my 13 Heritage and it works well.
Did you buy the HF "Red" type jack or the HF "Yellow" type jack?
The biggest obvious difference other than the price is "Red" is steel and "Yellow" is aluminum.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own the Sears Yellow jack and it is a quality jack. It has smooth valve operation and the safety is nice as well. My only comment is that when I have me Fatboy up on the jack, it leans slightly to the left (when viewed from the front). If you have a softail, pick up the frame adapter from HD to protect the shocks.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A buddy of mine was selling the yellow Sears jack. It also has a set of adapters that came with it to raise the height by a couple of inches. Not sure if those were original or if they were an additional part. Gave $50 for it.

It works great. Solid, don't have concerns of things letting go or getting wobbly.

Never used any other jack, so can't compare, but I am happy.

Next lift will be a drive-on, but this one will stay in the shop forever.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM
JRuss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Sears yellow jack and it's definitely quality. Bought it new and it does come with those height adapters. And the safety catch is nice too.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Have the Red jack. I have no complaints.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Sears Yellow, had the red a few years ago. I was happy with both, but if going to move it around much the yellow is much lighter. Other than that, the red being heavier seemed a little more stable, but have not had any issues with the yellow either.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

Red Craftsman jack too! No complaints. Just have to stand up the bike a wee bit to get the jack underneath, easy!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Fenny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the red jack (which I think is sold under many diff brands, maybe even the HF one??) for three years and then it crapped out. First it began to leak slightly, not a issueat first as I was still able to raise it, then lock it in place. Shortly thereafter, the cast release pedalbroke at the pivot pin, I worked around that by using a pry bar to push the buttonon the cylinder. Finally the seal wentout completely and it would not raise at all. I also read on the Sears reviews site that you can’t find replacementparts for them very easily

I didn’t want to buy another one of the same or spend $300+for a replacement, so I bought the yellow one. IMO, it is hands down a superior product. It operates more smoothly, is lower (spacerscame with it), is easier to maneuver due to its light weight (MUCH lighter!), is as or more stable, and the build quality is better too! I also like the handle pump action better thanthe foot pump - you can remove the handle with the pull of a pin too to get itout of your way once the bike is up. Ihighly recommend it and I’d say go for it!

Quick Reply: Sears Red Jack vs. Yellow Jack