Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand porting heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Greabert
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand porting heads

Anyone ever try hand porting/polishing their cylinder heads? I realize that diamond cut CNC work is far superior, but it is also pretty costly. Back in the day I did some hand port/polish work on automotive heads but never on a HD. If you have done it I would be curious to hear your results. TIA

Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Had it done on my stock heads when I put the 95" kit on my '99 FXDX. Bike ran strong, no issues whatsoever.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Greabert
Cruiser

May I asked what that ran you? I'm considering taking a stab at doing it myself but not much how to info out there on the subject so I'm hesitant to try.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Unless you know what you are doing, you can actually reduce flow in your stock heads, The porting a Harley head is not the same as we did in the old days to our domestic V8s with gasket matching and porting to blend. Do not attempt unless you know what you are doing and or know somebody that has proven over time with flow bench numbers. There are gains to be had but only throught he hands of an expert, seek 1 out.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member

Mine were done by a friend that ran a reputable custom shop. He did me a favor and installed Manley valves, new springs and the port/polish job for 150 bucks. But that was quite some time ago...

Old 12-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Greabert
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Unless you know what you are doing, you can actually reduce flow in your stock heads, The porting a Harley head is not the same as we did in the old days to our domestic V8s with gasket matching and porting to blend. Do not attempt unless you know what you are doing and or know somebody that has proven over time with flow bench numbers. There are gains to be had but only throught he hands of an expert, seek 1 out.
I agree with this. I've been trying to find some "how to info" and info on the actual porting specs but not much luck. Only if I found this info would I then take stab at it. I'm also not too overly concerned about ruining these stock heads, I was also considering just going with a '07 or newer style head anyway, but if I could improve the flow on these early style stock heads myself than I could probaby live with them.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Greabert
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Mine were done by a friend that ran a reputable custom shop. He did me a favor and installed Manley valves, new springs and the port/polish job for 150 bucks. But that was quite some time ago...
How did she run afterwards?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Greabert
How did she run afterwards?
Like a freight train. I got decent gas mileage if I stayed out of the throttle. No dyno numbers to brag with. I also had cams, a thinner head gasket, Mikuni flat-slide carb and RB Racing 2-1 pipe. Here she is...

Attached Thumbnails Hand porting heads-fxdx.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 02:27 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry, double post. Please delete Mr. (or Ms.) Moderator...

Old 12-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Greabert
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Like a freight train. I got decent gas mileage if I stayed out of the throttle. No dyno numbers to brag with. I also had cams, a thinner head gasket, Mikuni flat-slide carb and RB Racing 2-1 pipe. Here she is...
Sounds about like what I want to do with mine (but unfortunately I've got the better half looking over my shoulder ).... Good lookin scooter hdgzr.

Quick Reply: Hand porting heads