Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:58 PM
eglinski
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel sleeve

Can someone tell me what purpose is the front wheel sleeve for? i have a DNA 18" Harley wheel I'm considering installing on my Deluxe, i have new 25mm bearings from DNA and the hub has pockets for the bearings, I pressed in 1 bearing (rotor side) and if I install the 25mm sleeve the bearing on the other side will only press in half way. maybe the sleeve is too long? I bought the wheel from a forum member that had it on a Deluxe w/25mm axle with that sleeve I notice that my new bearings are .825" thick is that wider than Harley 25mm bearings? thanks

Old 05-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,488 Likes on 5,462 Posts

Originally Posted by eglinski
Can someone tell me what purpose is the front wheel sleeve for?

The "sleeve" is so that when you tighten the axle, it does not put pressure on the bearings..you have to use it, the bearings would only last minutes without it. The sleeve has to be slightly longer than the distance between the bearing bores. Sounds like you have a sleeve(or bearing spacer) for single row bearings, and are using double row bearings. You can do that if the bearing bores are deep enough for double row bearings, and you have the spacer cut to the correct length. You can also let the bearings "hang out" if when installed it is not an eyesore...you will just have to use custom wheel spacers to compensate.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:16 AM
eglinski
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
The "sleeve" is so that when you tighten the axle, it does not put pressure on the bearings..you have to use it, the bearings would only last minutes without it. The sleeve has to be slightly longer than the distance between the bearing bores. Sounds like you have a sleeve(or bearing spacer) for single row bearings, and are using double row bearings. You can do that if the bearing bores are deep enough for double row bearings, and you have the spacer cut to the correct length. You can also let the bearings "hang out" if when installed it is not an eyesore...you will just have to use custom wheel spacers to compensate.

Thanks for the info, Do you know how long the "sleeve" should be with the double row bearings? the DNA hub has bearing pockets that use the wider bearings