Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ditch their rear signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:25 PM
lowebudget
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ditch their rear signals

Anyone ditched their rear signals all together? I have a 2000 night train with the docking hardware for my sissy bar. So my turn signals have been relocated. It was like that when I got it so I'm not sure if it was relocated correctly but I hate the way it looks. Plus my turn signals keep spinning up and down and won't stay in place. So I was thinking of just removing them completely and just getting the kuryakyn panacea taillight. Anyway I guess getting to the point for anyone who's removed them completely was it as simple as taking the signals off and taping up the wires?

Old 06-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't.

If it wasn't clear the first time, DON'T.

My wife's Lo had just the Panacea light on it. It was OK at night if you were within a couple hundred feet or so. Daylight, you can't see the turn signal unless you are actually LOOKING for it, and bright daylight makes it even harder to see.

We went with Custom Dynamics integrated brake/turn tail light, which is plug and play without load equalizers on her 2010. Better, and easier to see separation with the better LEDs in that unit. HOWEVER, it's still not adequate, nor is any integrated light DOT approved (that I am aware of), so you'd potentially risk ticketing or inspection issues.

We also went on to put on Alloy Art strut end turn signals, but one was bad, so working on getting a replacement.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:52 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Alloy Art strut signals and love them.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 PM
slippie_not_hippie
Cruiser

Yes.

SNH

Attached Thumbnails Anyone ditch their rear signals-img_20140519_133422.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 PM
pat.h
Cruiser

I ditched mine, taped up the wires inside the bat comp, dont leave them lose in the fender, .....use your hand signals, ive never had a problem, cops in front back or on side, use ur hand signals.......on a side note many motorist do not recognize a right turn hand signal, so I point left with left and right with right. Keep an eye on your six too.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 PM
barhopperbynight
Cruiser

Ditched them long ago. Hand Signals. Don't care how bright a light is the caged animals do not see them!

Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I haven't had front or rear on my FXST since 2011 and rarely miss them. They were already removed when I bought the bike and I don't see the need to replace them at this time. I highly doubt that if my high beam, drag pipes and arm signals don't get your attention a tiny little blinking thing will.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:51 AM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ditched mine last weekend. I haven't used them in over a year or so and I figured it was time to remove them. Bike is much cleaner without.

I always use hand signals and really don't ride at night often anyways. Cops have not pulled me over yet and had a couple of them behind me last week.

I figure the only way I'll get a fix it ticket is if I'm pulled over for something else and they feel like nailing me for it too.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 AM
Blake USMC Vet
Tourer

Might want to check with your state law. Some require the rear lights some don't.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Bulldog10
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blake's prolly right--but I'm not aware of any states that don't accept hand signals for turning.

Quick Reply: Anyone ditch their rear signals