Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with progressive drop in fork spring install

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Longshot USMC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with progressive drop in fork spring install

Hey guys, I'm a pretty handy guy but this is my first move into turning wrenches on my Harley. I wanted to give the bike an altitude adjustment and while the rear shocks seem pretty straight forward, installing my drop in fork springs seems to have me a bit held up. My bike is a 2002 softail standard, I remove the fork caps and I can't figure out where to go from there. There's threaded holes inside... really thought this was going to be straight forward but I'm hung up and not sure what to do. The service manual wasn't very much help either.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Longshot USMC
Hey guys, I'm a pretty handy guy but this is my first move into turning wrenches on my Harley. I wanted to give the bike an altitude adjustment and while the rear shocks seem pretty straight forward, installing my drop in fork springs seems to have me a bit held up. My bike is a 2002 softail standard, I remove the fork caps and I can't figure out where to go from there. There's threaded holes inside... really thought this was going to be straight forward but I'm hung up and not sure what to do. The service manual wasn't very much help either.
The Progressive instructions are pretty good. When you remove the top fork cap you will need a LARGE good quality adjustable wrench to catch the flats that are on the base of the internal threaded insert that the caps screwed into. Do you have the forks out of the steering head?
This does make it easier to install the Mono-Tube shocks, if that is what you are installing. Here is a video from google on the install of the Mono-Tube:
Hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,788 Likes on 9,863 Posts

It isn't as "drop in" as it seems. You're going to have to remove the fork tubes from the triple tree. Then the large cap with the 2 flats on it can come off. Then the springs can come out. There are youtube videos for this. It isn't really complicated and I was very intimidated the first time I did it, but is pretty straight forward. Just hard to describe in a post.