Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Accident that technically isn't.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default First Accident that technically isn't.

So I was out for a nice Sunday afternoon ride. The odometer hit 1,200, the weather was beautiful, met a friend for lunch...good day. On the way home, on a nice straight stretch of road, I'm going around 30 mph when a car turns directly into my path. I slam on the brakes, too close and too big an object in front of me to swerve around and I go down. As I skid and lay there for a second wasn't sure if I had hurt my leg bad or not but I was able to get up and stand. Jeans torn and knee is bleeding. Take off my leather jacket (a little scuffed but it protected me well...thank you Vanson) and arms both bleeding but nothing appears to be broken. A couple of guys saw it, one a rider, and both said there wasn't much else I could have done. The guy in the car, a really nice younger guy, just said he never saw me. He's feeling pretty awful, there was no need to make him feel worse. He wasn't on his cellphone, he wasn't under the influence, it was an accident. The gear shift on my bike is bent and there are a few marks but really in pretty good shape all things considered. We call the police, the first unit arrives and realizes it is out of his jurisdiction. We wait awhile for the second to come. He says, "You didn't hit his car?" I told him no. He said, "In NY State that's not a reportable incident. Basically, you put your bike down." I'm lucky, very lucky, I know that but I'm guessing my insurance will have this listed as my fault. The guy in the car told me he will cover anything the insurance doesn't. I have no idea how that end of it will play out. I'm sure there will be a few headaches. I was able to drive the bike home, not easy to shift but it was all 30 mph or less so never had to leave first and second gears. Now home and showered, I'm sore as...well you know. Hydrogen peroxide does not feel good on road rash. My knee is pretty swollen but I can put weight on it and walk so I think it's just bruised. All in all, everyone not only walked away but rode away so it's a happy ending (the other guy isn't feeling it). My bike will get fixed, my road rash and bruises will heal and I'll try to figure out what I could have done different. I feel like I'm pretty attentive out there but when things go wrong, they go wrong quick and close. I'm glad I had on jeans, Red Wing work boots, gloves and a heavy leather jacket. It would have been a much different story without that protection. As we were waiting for the cops to go by a guy went by on a bike in shorts and a t-shirt. I'm not sure I would have anyway but after this you won't get me out without protective gear ever.

So much for a quiet ride into Vermont tomorrow morning. At the very least, until I get the shifter repaired, I won't be riding but glad I was able to ride home, right back on the horse so to speak. I have a hunch I might be a little sore tomorrow too...just a hunch.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 PM
user 62642348
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default First Accident that technically isn't.

I'm glad you're OK. As you say, repairs can be made, and scrapes will heal. But still...

Alan

Old 09-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Lucky Doug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you are OK and the bike is fixable.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I'm glad you're only banged up, it could have been so much worse.

I don't know, but that cops response doesn't sound right. Think about it, if you were to cut somebody in a car off and they hit a tree wouldn't you at least get a ticket? Or, if just missed a person crossing a street wouldn't you at least get a ticket?

I don't know VT laws but her in NJ you can go to the cop shop and have a citation issued against the driver. Failure to yield, careless driving? Gotta be something you can do. If it was me I'd be going to police HQ and checking it out.

It's great the he's apparently being a good guy about it, why should you have to foot the bill for it if your insurance doesn't cover because there was ticket issued (no accident). Does that then become your fault?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM
tlaw
Road Captain

Yeah, that's what I don't know. All of this is new to me.

I'm in New York was only going to take a drive over to Vermont tomorrow. We seem to have a law for everything here. I have a couple of friends who are with the police so I'll probably ask them tomorrow. I'm not trying to cause trouble for the other guy, he really was decent, but I don't want to see increased rates or no coverage for what might need to be fixed.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:58 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Would you have gone down if he did not turn in front of you? You need to contact your insurance company AND file a police report. Holy cow, you're injured!!!!

Not much to decide about this one IMO. I almost died when someone "didn't see" me on my bike. No excuse.

John

Old 09-06-2015, 08:05 PM
RPMorey
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to read about this. I'm glad that you are OK. Can you bend the shifter back into place to take advantage of tomorrows hot weather? Or are you stiffening up tonight and need a few days off? If you do feel like a ride, hit me with a text. I got a new Forty Eight from Spitzie's last weekend. I'm still working on breaking in. I'm also sorry to say that I believe that in a non-contact accident you will be fixing your own. Collision coverage will cover minus your deductible. I think it will be a chargeable accident too.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 PM
tlaw
Road Captain

I'm going to look closer at the shifter tomorrow to see if it is just out of alignment or something. I'm guessing I'll be a little on the stiff side, I am now. As one would expect, it's hurting pretty good right now. Still, I think it's just bruised and bleeding, a little swollen but nothing broken.

Being a holiday weekend, I'm guessing I won't be able to contact any insurance companies tomorrow.

But onto better things, I love the 48's. What color? Are you liking it?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:43 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

First of all, I'm sincerely glad you only sustained minor injuries. You're very lucky.

However, as respectfully as I can, (and I sincerely mean that), the police officer was correct.

Did you hit the car? No. What stops a motorcycle faster, sliding on the pavement on corners of engine guards, footpegs, and handlebars, or properly using front and rear brakes?

Since you did not hit the car, then had you used your brakes correctly you simply would have stopped, also before hitting the car, since brakes stop you faster than sliding on steel.

Don't misunderstand, the car absolutely was the reason this situation started, but you did not have to crash. Please, take a riders course, and practice braking. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:44 PM
ylwf3vr
Road Master

Received 132 Likes on 120 Posts

Glad you're ok. I'm STILL on crutches. After MRI they found bone contusion and hairline fractures. but I still get out on ride around the block lol

Hope for quick recovery and getting the bike fixed up. My insurance covered EVERYTHING and even gave me extra for the gear that was all torn up.

Quick Reply: First Accident that technically isn't.