Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Teeth on Starter Ring Gear

Old 05-12-2016, 05:11 PM
arod6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Teeth on Starter Ring Gear

Would missing or chewed up teeth on the starter ring gear cause the starter to just spin?

I've been noticing that when I click the starter button, it try's to engage, but then just spins. I'll rock my ride forward, or backward a bit and get on the starter again. I repeat this procedure till the motor engages. Sometimes this could be a 5 min ordeal.

I'm trying to determine if the starter (starter clutch) is shot, or if I'm just missing or damaged too many teeth on the starter ring gear. The thought is - the starter is fine, but can't engage the starter ring gear.

Thought?

Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd be changing that primary oil and see if you have metal.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer

Allow me to elaborate! Sorry, DON'T "change" the oil, dump the primary oil and inspect for metal if you are concerned about the ring gear missing teeth. In any case, don't put new oil in your primary as just about anything wrong with your starter, starter clutch, solenoid, will require you to remove the primary cover anyway to remove the starter.

My bet's on the starter clutch.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 PM
arod6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time the primary was off, I noticed some where on the teeth of the starter ring gear. Since then, its been having trouble turning over with the symptoms mentioned above.

If it is the starter itself - its an All ***** starter replaced only 7K ago.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer

Seems to me that in any case, you are going in... If you can hear the gears trying to engage, but just spinning, if there is any grinding what so ever, you are making metal. Starters have no lifetime for sure.

I'd drain the oil, pop off the covers and try to get a look at the ring/drive gear. It's tight, but possibly a well placed flash light you can see what you need to.

Have a manual? There are several solenoid, over-run clutch, and general starter test you can preform.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Forget about chasing metal in the oil. The starter clutch (bendix) gear is phenolic material that's relatively soft.

The starter clutch gears have long been known to strip teeth,especially on the higher compression 1200s. I got 22K - 24K out of my first two clutches. After that I switched to a better starter. (All-*****).

You can buy just the starter clutch assembly from HD, A few years back they ran ~$30.00.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
Forget about chasing metal in the oil. The starter clutch (bendix) gear is phenolic material that's relatively soft.

The starter clutch gears have long been known to strip teeth,especially on the higher compression 1200s. I got 22K - 24K out of my first two clutches. After that I switched to a better starter. (All-*****).

You can buy just the starter clutch assembly from HD, A few years back they ran ~$30.00.
Yea, all true. But seeing how he's complaining about missing chewed up teeth on his ring gear, yea, I'd be chasing all of it. He has an All *****.

Like you, my bet is still on the Bendix...

Last edited by Lonnie Mac; 05-12-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Troops141
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A buddy of mine has a twin cam and had a similar issue. For him, he was missing a few teeth off the starter ring, starter was totally fine. I'd follow the suggestion above and drain the primary oil. Thats what he did and found a tooth or two when doing so. It is a cheap thing to try and you're going to have to drain it anyways if you pull the cover.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by arod6
Would missing or chewed up teeth on the starter ring gear cause the starter to just spin?

I've been noticing that when I click the starter button, it try's to engage, but then just spins. I'll rock my ride forward, or backward a bit and get on the starter again. I repeat this procedure till the motor engages. Sometimes this could be a 5 min ordeal.

I'm trying to determine if the starter (starter clutch) is shot, or if I'm just missing or damaged too many teeth on the starter ring gear. The thought is - the starter is fine, but can't engage the starter ring gear.

Thought?
Thought? Unfortunately you're guessing, when you need to be diagnosing! What follows has not helped us much, to date. If you are genuinely concerned about missing teeth on your starter ring gear, I suggest you remove the primary cover and check. That will also get you closer to being able to check the starter motor and it's clutch.

Yes, missing teeth could make your starter spin, if it coincides with the missing teeth. What you describe when rocking the bike to catch the starter sounds consistent with having missing teeth.