Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator nut...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:14 PM
ZenDog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compensator nut...

My 06 1200L has been at the local authorized distributor for Voyager Trikes. The conversion should of been completed last week, but it took Voyager awhile to send the wiring harness that I needed. The tech is going to road test the trike, and I should be able to pick it up later today.

However, the service advisor told me that the tech noticed that my compensator nut was loose. Pretty weird as the bike has low mileage. They advise me to take it my HD dealer and let the warranty take care of it.

Can anybody tell me how long or far I can ride with the compensator nut loose ? Can I damage the bike ? The HD dealer only said that " it depends how loose it is ". They are gonna squeeze me in tomorrow at 4:00 PM to take care of it.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
ZenDog
Advanced
Default RE: Compensator nut...

Wow, thanks to the wonders of the Internet and Google I just read quite a few scary stories about this problem on several other forums. And that there is a TSB on this, the original specs had the torque at 210, the new specs are 240-260.

Looks like the indy dealer did me a favor by noticing the problem before it got worse.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:16 AM
iasporty
Cruiser

stupid question but what is the compensator nut

Old 05-24-2007, 08:56 AM
ZenDog
Advanced

The compensator nut is on the front chain sprocket. There's proceedures for torquing it in the DIY section.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_128175/tm.htm

Compensating Sprockets Big Twins since 1955 and Sportsters from 1957 to the mid-70s used four basic types of engine-to-transmission power shock absorption devices. The pulsing energy of the motor is cushioned to protect the power train back through the transmission. The downside to these various mechanisms is that they suffer some power transfer loss from the engine to the rear well as it grabs the asphalt. This is another reason that the Sportster is faster than the Big Twin since many models are direct drive with only a sprocket and not the added compensating sprocket assembly
Although I recommend checking primary chain problems first, the bottom end knock invariably comes from a malfunctioning compensator. A mechanic can easily tell the difference between the two noises with a stethoscope, but this requires experience. Why would it sound like a bottom end knock? Because it’s attached to a bottom end component - the flywheel sprocket shaft. Although sprocket shaft bearing assembly spacing determines end play of the flywheels and their positioning inside the motor cases----- 35lb. flywheels rotating up to 6500 RPM would turn into a grenade if allowed to rotate into the motor case housing-----the compensating sprocket package ensures that this crucial end play is maintained. So, when this assembly malfunctions through improper torque or wear, the accompanying noise transfers along the sprocket shaft into the bottom end, leading the rider to think the connecting rods, crank pin and associated bearing are worn beyond tolerance and therefore causing the insidious knock.
http://www.heavydutycycles.com/n7techf.htm

Old 05-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Thongs2U
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

When I bought my 07 SportsterI went over it from top to bottom with a torque wrench and adjusted everything to the 07 service manual. First thing that pissed me off whas how many different sized ASE bolts, bolts with torx head, and bolts with allen heads there were. Second was that about 25% were not torqued properly at the factory. My suggestions would be for HD moco to standardize more on bolt size & type, and to have QC implement a torque proceedure for assemblers.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:28 AM
ZenDog
Advanced

I found this also in my research...good pics !

http://www.beltdrives.com/guides-19.htm

Old 05-24-2007, 12:19 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I always thought the compensator "nut" what what attaches the handlebars to the seat.

[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
ZenDog
Advanced

Found some more info on this problem....maybe it will help someone who is not aware of it.

"

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/a...p/t-18550.html

Old 07-27-2007, 06:33 PM
cmwood70
1st Gear

As you may be aware, I have had a bad experience with Harley Davidson Motorcycles. In an effort to let others know about my experience I have posted a complaint at the following url: www.TheSqueakyWheel.com
Please forward this e-mail to as many people as you know.
Thanks for your support.
Yours truly,
Chris Wood

Old 07-27-2007, 06:55 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spec is 240 plus a 1/4 turn (aka 260)....that's what it needs to be...no less. It's really not a good idea to ride with that lil effer loose on ya. It can really mess some things up for you ifdecides to gosquirrely.