Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Velocity stack and more...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Velocity stack and more...

I have always loved the look of a velocity stack on a motor. I have wanted one for my bike for a while but I am concerned about debri getting in the carb and motor. I saw someone post a link to a stack that had a filter inside it but it was just butt ugly.

Luckys Speed Shop has this item:

ON EBAY LINK

I just wondered if anyone has one of these? Seems like a damn good idea and I would be able to run the stack of my choice with it.

I am not looking for huge perf gains... My bike has plenty-o-***** enough for me. I am going for the cool factor here.

Let me know what ya think.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts
Default RE: Velocity stack and more...

Those would look cool, I like them a lot better than the ones that face forward with a big K&N type filter hanging out there.
I would be concerned with the filtration though, with that small of a surface area it can't be filtering down to a very small micron level,(surface area,CFM & micron level are all interrealted)I would like to see some specs first to determine just how much it is really filtering, it won't do you much good if it only filters out particles down tothe size of a small bird.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior

Most of the stacks I have seen have a simple screen in them. Lucky's claims this is a washable full blown fliter. From what I can see its the same washable foam filter you find in the Dragtron II models. I will email them and ask and post my results.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope you don't ride much because I would bet the foam filter will be blown to hell about the second time your bike coughs, then you will be running filterless or if you don't blow it out or catch it on fire, I would bet you have to clean it ever 100 miles or so.
I've included a picture of my stack but I guess I like them for the performance more than the looks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43689/9A69D212657E426FB269D68D3253FCEE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks pretty cool...Most stacks ,like you said,usually only have a fine screen and they are just not practical for everyday riding.
This one looks pretty cool and at a reasonable price.If you got the cash ,check it out.Don't think it'll catch on fire and if the bikes running right it shouldn't cough.Probably don't have to clean it any more than any other filter element either.Let us know how it is if you get one.I'd be interested in another option for my scoot

Oh **** .......I just looked again....the stack isn't included? Kinda expensive with no stack...but.... might still be worth it

Old 01-24-2008, 03:55 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior

Yeah I saw the stack wasn't included. My bike doesn't cough. Got rid of that problem quite a while ago. Carb farts are thing of the past. I don't mind being a guinea pig if its within reason.. Thinkin that I will go with this and a short stack..2.5-3".

Old 01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking that's gonna look BADASS on that bike.I've always loved the look of stacks,just never ran one 'cause I was always afraid of sucking in sand or anything else.Definately wanna know how you like it

Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

ORIGINAL: HOTLAP

Those would look cool, I like them a lot better than the ones that face forward with a big K&N type filter hanging out there.
I would be concerned with the filtration though, with that small of a surface area it can't be filtering down to a very small micron level,(surface area,CFM & micron level are all interrealted)I would like to see some specs first to determine just how much it is really filtering, it won't do you much good if it only filters out particles down tothe size of a small bird.
You're exactly right. If that small a filter can pass enough air to keep the engine performance the same as stock, then it can't be an effective filter. Ya can't cheat physics.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that filter actually filters, then it's way too small and will cut performance significantly. If it flows enough air, then it won't filter well.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior

Interesting take guys. I am all ears for sure. My question is this, if it robs performance..why would you put it on a custom bike? Or why would they be used on the drag strip? I honestly don't know so I am just playing devil's advocate here.. You don't know till you ask.

Quick Reply: Velocity stack and more...