Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back's killing me

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Thatguy08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back's killing me

Dad and I decided to take our bikes out for longer run for the first time to stretch their legs a bit. He's riding a Superglide Custom and I'm on an Iron. After 500 miles and a decent night of sleep, he's feeling fine but I can hardly walk because my back hurts so much. Any suggestions on how I could've prevented it. I'm riding with the suspension on it's lightest setting and I'm using the "sidekick" seat.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other then a better seat, that is the nature of the bike you are riding. It is not really made for long trips, that is why they make touring bikes. Last yr I had a second bike which was a sporty 1200. After about 200 miles on it I had enough. I felt like I rode a horse all day. I can ride the Road King all day and not be sore.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:41 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we tour on sportys all of the time. you need to make sure those bars are comfortable, you can change those shocks, we are using street glide air shocks on the nightsters. and forward controls.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thatguy08
Dad and I decided to take our bikes out for longer run for the first time to stretch their legs a bit. He's riding a Superglide Custom and I'm on an Iron. After 500 miles and a decent night of sleep, he's feeling fine but I can hardly walk because my back hurts so much. Any suggestions on how I could've prevented it. I'm riding with the suspension on it's lightest setting and I'm using the "sidekick" seat.
LOL! yeh move up to a Dyna, softail or touring model. Sportsters are great for runnin around on, shorter trips, around town, Bar hoppin. On longer rides the bigger bikes made it much more enjoyable.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Take this for what it is worth (which maybe nothing at all ) but I think most back problems from riding have little to do with the seat and more to do with other things. Sitting on a bike (especially if you already sit for work) like an Iron forces your legs and hips to stay in a bent position. The muscles around your hips can get tight (and may already be shortened some if you sit all day) which pulls your pelvis forward putting your spine in an odd position that can cause pain. Many people today because of our life styles are quad dominate already with weak hamstrings which only makes the problem worse. If you have access to a foam roller you can use to help break up the scar tissue or loosen the muscles some this will help as well.

If it is not already obvious I am not an expert on this subject, just passing on what I learned. Try stretching your quads and hips before you ride (you can find stretches on the internet) and at gas stops. Yeah, you run the risk of looking like Richard Simmons but I will trade that any day for no back pain. When my lower back hurts I can stretch my hips and it almost goes away immediately. If it is mid or upper back and you have access to a gym do some rows, shrugs etc to strengthen the muscles of the back. Again, not an expert, just what I learned.

I would try this stuff before I went looking for an expensive seat or some other mechanical solution.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:04 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

like midnight said, seat, bars and rear shocks are yr best bet for changes, also forward controls.

one free thing you could do...i do it when ever i ride a long ride, is whatever back i'm huallin, put it on the back seat or fender and use it as a backrest, that helps. also, i know when i'm going on a long ride i ALWAYS use my kidney belt, it doesn't have to be something special, i got mine from sports athorutiy in the wieght section for around 15 bucks

Old 06-23-2009, 08:26 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Seat!! It's that stupid brick they call a stock seat. I had the same issues. Get a seat with some decent lower back support. No more problems. Cruise all day, and get up and cruise all day the next day.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 AM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

Granted it's not a big ol' Touring Bike but you can put on many miles on a Sportster. As others have said, start with the best seat possible and make sure you have the right handlebar set up for your body type. Ditto for forward or mid controls - which ever provides the most comfortable and natural position. Posture has a lot to do with back and neck problems so sitting position is important.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Schneider
Novice
Default Any suggestions for good looking comfortable seats?

Can anyone suggest aftermarket alternatives that are comfy, good support, AND LOOK GOOD!?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have a Dyna or bigger bike set up to look cool like your Sport ,your back will kill you.Pros and cons baby,you want to look cool or be comfortable.

Quick Reply: back's killing me