Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Lights not working on Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Projectman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Lights not working on Sportster

Good morning all. I just purchased a used 2000 Sportster yesterday and this morning I noticed the rear lights weren't on. The turn signals work, but the brake light doesn't. I pulled the left side cover off the bike to look at the fuses, but I couldn't see any fuses or a fuse box. Can somebody help me to:

Troubleshoot the problem and/or help me locate the fuse box?

This is my first Harley and my first motorcycle in 25 years so be gentle. By the way I did a search on the forum first and didn't see this problem listed.

Thanks in Advance!

ProjectMan

Old 05-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Dana
6th Gear
Default RE: Rear Lights not working on Sportster

there are a couple of thing that could be wrong, first did you remove the rear taillight lense and replace the bulb, you can get a new on at an aoutoparts place, just take the bulb with you. does the rear taillight come on when the bike is on or is it just the brake light. does the brake light work with the foot brake? let me know and i can guide you a little more. the breaker box is located under the panel to the rear of the battery, just grab it and pull it off, dont realy think that would be your issue though. good luck and let me know ok

Old 05-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Projectman
Stage II

The brake light doesn't work, the tailight doesn't work, and the blinkers aren't on. The blinkers in the rear do blink, but I assume they should be lighted all the time?

Are these lights controlled by a fuse? Is there a fuse box? Is there a breaker that controls these lights?

Old 05-02-2005, 08:58 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless someone has rewired your bike, your blinkers only light up when you have the turn signals on. There is a fuse box but I'm not sure where it is on the 2004 since HD redesigned that side of the bike. You might look under the seat. First thing I'd do is remove the tail light and check the bulb, then look at the wiring harness under the fender to make sure isn't worn.

Sorry, not much help. Hopefully, someone with a service manual for an 04 will help.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Dana
6th Gear

have you changed the bulb, these bulbs are very sensitive and stop working just by shakin them, if you have changed the bulb i wouls pull the light housing off and with a test light or volt meter check and see if you have current to the soccet wires. i have a 98 and there is no fuse box just a breaker box and its located under the panel to the rear of the battery. i still bet its a bulb. good luck and lets us know

Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
sportster 883
Novice

my brake light is on with the accessories on, but shuts off when i turn the key to ignition....and the brake light doesn't light up with either the front or the foot brake..could it be the switch/sencor

Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
tdm571
Stage I

I am having the same issue. When the key is in the accessories position, the tail light is on full, the turn signals are on half. When the key is in the on position, the tail light goes out completely and the turn signals turn on full. Turn signals blink when activated. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM
kcrismyre
Stage I
Default rear running lights not working

I have a 99 sportster xl1200 and the fuse box is just to the right of the battery behind a plate. You can just pull it out without taking off the plate and the fuse box slides out.
I have a different problem with my lights. Everything works except for the back running lights, but the turn signals work which makes me think it's not a bulb. I changed all the fuses and the breaker under the seat is not tripped.
Anybody have an suggestion?

Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Surya Chahar
Stage I

I have exactly the same problem. Could you please what was the issue and the resolution for this issue?

Old 07-14-2022, 02:01 PM
jimmy.shank
1st Gear
Default Light problem on sportster 883

Ok so I’m having a problem with my 1998 sportster 883 just got it and the speedo, horn, taillight, and, turn signals all don’t work but the headlight works fine high beams and low beams work great. All the lights come on when you turn on the the bike ,but they don’t do nothing when you hit the brakes or hit the switch for turn signals and the speedo don’t work until you full throttle it then it just starts moving around(don’t think it’s right but) plz if anyone has info definitely needed tired of messing with it already !!!!!?????

Quick Reply: Rear Lights not working on Sportster