Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel gaps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 PM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel gaps?

Just done a number of searches and come up with a big fat question mark.
Was pre fitting my new rear fender and lowered the rear end to see what it will look like with a set of burly shocks.
This left me with two very big questions:
1) my rear wheel doesn't sit in the middle of the two rear metal frame fender supports (it's nearer to the left support than the right, if looking from the rear)
See pic below, sorry it's not great
2) if this is normal does anyone have a issue with the rear left strut cover bolts sticking out to far with the rear wheel wall?
Can any give me some info please.
EDIT* guess I should tell ya what bike it is lol, it's a xl883n iron/right side not left of the frame

Last edited by ironhide_uk; 11-27-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:41 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the axle spacers are installed incorrectly. The narrow spacer goes on the left side, wide one on the right.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:28 AM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRAITH
Looks like the axle spacers are installed incorrectly. The narrow spacer goes on the left side, wide one on the right.
Sorry my bad it's nearer to the right side than the left, so are you saying it's normal for the tire to sit over to one side?

Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man I know how much you've been aching to get that bike on the road so it bothers me to suggest this but I think it looks like your frame is bent...or maybe my monitor is bent.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:01 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
Man I know how much you've been aching to get that bike on the road so it bothers me to suggest this but I think it looks like your frame is bent...or maybe my monitor is bent.
yeah... I thought the same... but if this is true... then how come that right side fender support strut by itself appears to be a straight piece of metal?... I imagine that if the right support strut is bent is because of some big impact / crash that is going to curve the metal... Odo... is this a brand new bike? Can you please post a picture taken from above and right at the center? (bird's eye view kind of pic?)

Old 11-27-2010, 03:09 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Visually following the backbone, it looks (to me) like the frame is tweaked where it Y's. To the left and up a little (down on the right)

Old 11-27-2010, 03:11 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Have you checked your rear wheel alignment? Maybe the right side of the axle has moved forward, or the left side backwards. That makes things look a bit crazy.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:16 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
Visually following the backbone, it looks (to me) like the frame is tweaked where it Y's. To the left and up a little (down on the right)
Damn... what can possibly cause such deformation of the frame?.. intriguing ...

dumb question... let's say the swingarm bolts are loose... then when the bike is resting on the kickstand.. wouldn't it cause the wheel to lean to the right and create the misalignment issue ?

Old 11-27-2010, 03:26 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

HOPEFULLY it's not the case but the Y part isn't tube. It's just plate. If the bike took a major front hit or major flop on the left side I can see it tweaking right there.

A loose swing arm bolt shouldn't cause it but a trashed swing arm (rear motor mount) bushing could I guess.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:41 AM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The right fender strut looks bent in. Rear wheel seems to be aligned with the backbone.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel gaps?