Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Strange 883 issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The tilt switch should be under your seat or around that area. I think it is about 1/2 inch square and about 1 inch long.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I checked it with a magnet on top. It kills the engine like it should. Thanks though!

Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear

I AM RIDING! Can you believe a loose or bad ground wire to the module?! I spliced all the wiring and grounded the module to the cover plate and she is running GREAT! So, leason learned is: ELECTRICAL ISSUES SUCK!

Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well good job! Must have been a great feeling to get her going again.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:43 PM
jthepipeguy38
Cruiser

Glad your running again and that it wasn't to bad

Old 07-28-2011, 05:46 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear

UPDATE: Well guys, she ran for three days, then the issue started again. Same exact problem. Starts, runs three seconds and then dies. Cycle key on and off and she starts right back up, runs three seconds and dies. So, I went through EVERYTHING. Again and again. With the help of people on forums and my mechanic's opinion, it was the ignition module. So I saved up $300, drove two hours to get a stock replacement, got home and installed it and guess what?! DAMN THING STILL RUNS 3 SECONDS AND DIES! Grrrrrrr! I have her apart now outside. I have jumped (Bypassed) the key, no luck. I've gone over and over the wiring trying to recreate what I could have bumped the day she started but have had no luck. Does anyone know if the bank angle sensor would trip each time after so many seconds? I believe that the sensor is like a ball bearing inside that opens a circuit when the bike leans too far so it doesn't make sense to me that it would run for 3 seconds and quit, but....????? Any ideas???

Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Vitric
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MissouriRidgeRunner
UPDATE: Well guys, she ran for three days, then the issue started again. Same exact problem. Starts, runs three seconds and then dies. Cycle key on and off and she starts right back up, runs three seconds and dies. So, I went through EVERYTHING. Again and again. With the help of people on forums and my mechanic's opinion, it was the ignition module. So I saved up $300, drove two hours to get a stock replacement, got home and installed it and guess what?! DAMN THING STILL RUNS 3 SECONDS AND DIES! Grrrrrrr! I have her apart now outside. I have jumped (Bypassed) the key, no luck. I've gone over and over the wiring trying to recreate what I could have bumped the day she started but have had no luck. Does anyone know if the bank angle sensor would trip each time after so many seconds? I believe that the sensor is like a ball bearing inside that opens a circuit when the bike leans too far so it doesn't make sense to me that it would run for 3 seconds and quit, but....????? Any ideas???
I'm a mechanic, although not a motorcycle mechanic. My first piece of advice for you right now would be to go have a smoke, beer, joint, whatever will work to calm you down. Usually if I do this, something will come to me that for some reason was not obvious in the first place.

I don't believe I'll be much help as I'm not too familiar with Harleys, but I can tell you that everything that has an engine, trans, and wheels all do the same exact thing. There is no such thing as a "phantom problem" that can't be fixed as well. If you have electrical know-how (which it seems you do) then once you collect yourself again, take out your schematic, and label how many volts or amps (if you can do amps) you have at each connector. All of them. Even measure voltage drop across every wire and make sure it's as close to 0 as possible, unless it looks like it should be otherwise.

I can go check with my dealer tomorrow about it if I get time and I'll report back.

One of my friends wants to know, does your bike have a mechanical fuel pump?

Last edited by Vitric; 07-28-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: question
Old 07-28-2011, 07:03 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear

Found it! Jumped the Bank Angle Sensor and she is running! Whoop!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Vitric
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MissouriRidgeRunner
Found it! Jumped the Bank Angle Sensor and she is running! Whoop!
Good! Didn't you say to checked that, though?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear

Yup, with a magnet and an ohm meter. But, im thinking if it got corroded inside, it may be losing contact. I cut the darn wires and spliced em and removed the sensor. Runs great now. Too bad I spent $300 before I went back to the sensor again.