Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blacking out your engine, casing

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 AM
xcore
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its gonna be hell of a time taping all those screws man.
Harley makes this black matt textured spray that look real good, but they're kinda expensive too. But I've seen the quality compared to a normal spray can you can really see the difference.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 AM
xcore
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DocHoliday06
oh and one more thing. I just went ahead and sprayed all the screws so if you want to not paint the screws just tape those.

If you sprayed with your screws on, and after the paint dries up, would it actually stick? And when you try to unscrew the screws maybe after a month or so, the pain might tear off when you unscrewing it?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 AM
imaginaryfren
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

always nice to have them powder coated black, gloss, matte or even dimple black is nice. Great compliment to the bike and looks very nice.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
speedbmp07
Advanced

Doc is right, take your time. I bought the paint for black engines from Harley. It was a little more expensive. Do a couple coats, Depending on which kind you get, it can come out with a gray tint (still better than stock in my opinion). What i did was take those little plastic thingies that go on the end of a shelf for a closet organizer and those fit perfectly over the screws. I think the little bit of gray makes the black pop even more. Ill try to post pics later

Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used VHT paint from Advance auto Parts. Works well, however any flat black will hold the dirt and even stain. It is very hard to clean and keep clean. I suggest using a semi gloss.

As for painting chrome??? it is hard to do. you will need to sand it to take the gloss off it, scuff it real good. I powder coat over chrome but I sand blast it first to pit it.

preparation is the key to a good paint job.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 PM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had every "cover" that would come off PC'd Black. Mostly Flat black, but did my head covers in gloss black. While eveyrthing was off, sprayed the fins and primary casing with High Temp paint. I think the primary, derby and timing covers can get a lot of rub wear from boots and stuff when riding and are probably better powder coated. Mine still looks great after 2 1/2 years

Old 06-28-2011, 01:39 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by xcore
Its gonna be hell of a time taping all those screws man.
How about using drinking straws to cover the bolts? just cut them short enough so it doesn't interfere with the paint job..

I repainted my primary using the HD textured spray can... I recommend it!!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:00 PM
xcore
Cruiser

That's a good idea joebotics, I might try that for a the first few screws. Think I'll be getting the harley textured spray, my friend sprayed my speedo and it looked great.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:56 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by xcore
That's a good idea joebotics, I might try that for a the first few screws. Think I'll be getting the harley textured spray, my friend sprayed my speedo and it looked great.

yeah... the HD textured rattle can is good stuff.. and it is pretty forgiving.. you don't have to be a certified auto body painter to get it right.. .. an idea is to remove the sprocket cover and practice with that piece first...

Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
jaysomethin
Intermediate

i grabbed a can of the harley wrinkle black spray, spent a couple hours taping and 10 minutes of paint.
3200 miles later covering 5 states no problems at all.... cost me about 18 bucks

Quick Reply: Blacking out your engine, casing