Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible bad stator, looking for verification

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Earnie1200C
Gpsjr10,

I like proving people wrong about my little Sporty. The first day of the trip we rode from Rolla, MO to Gallup, NM for an Iron Butt Ride, a total of 1023 miles in about 18 hours. When people found out that we were planning on doing an Iron Butt they thought that I was crazy to do it on a Sportster. The most miles that I had done at one time was about 450 miles. When I got back from the trip everyone was amazed that I did the Iron Butt and a total of 4000 miles for the 9 day trip. I'm looking forward to doing a similar trip again next summer on my little Sporty.

Earnie
We didn't cover a whole lot of miles (I don't think Tennessee has a straight road), but one day we were on the bikes from 8AM til 11PM except to stop for gas and food and I still have the stock seat. I could have kept going except for the fact that the beer was calling us.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Earnie1200C
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the parts before going on some vacation last week and aparentlly they are in at the dealership. I paid for them to be shipped to me so I can start taking the bike apart tonight after work but they haven't shipped them to me. I guess I'll have to sent the wife to pick up the parts, its 70 miles one way, after I call them to make sure they have them and they aren't already on the way to me. I need to get this fixed since my brother is coming in on Friday morning so we can go to the Lake of the Ozarks, MO rally.

Anyway, I started taking the the parts off the bike so that I can be ready to put it back together as soon as the new stator arrives. I got the primary cover, the clutch adjusting screw and release plate off. I used a 4" brass door hinge as a sprocket locking link and was able to get the engine sprocket loosened with a 1 1/8" socket and 1/2" breaker bar. I then tried to get the transmission mainshaft nut loose but it looks like its a 1 3/16" nut. The 1 1/8" was to small and the 1 1/4" was to big to fit the nut. Anyone that has taken the transmission mainshaft nut off and can confirm the size of the nut would very helpful since I will need to buy the right size tomorrow to get the nut off to finish disassembling the bike to ready to put the new stator in.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 PM
ahhwataday
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, thats a long way

Goodluck

Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Earnie1200C
I ordered the parts before going on some vacation last week and aparentlly they are in at the dealership. I paid for them to be shipped to me so I can start taking the bike apart tonight after work but they haven't shipped them to me. I guess I'll have to sent the wife to pick up the parts, its 70 miles one way, after I call them to make sure they have them and they aren't already on the way to me. I need to get this fixed since my brother is coming in on Friday morning so we can go to the Lake of the Ozarks, MO rally.

Anyway, I started taking the the parts off the bike so that I can be ready to put it back together as soon as the new stator arrives. I got the primary cover, the clutch adjusting screw and release plate off. I used a 4" brass door hinge as a sprocket locking link and was able to get the engine sprocket loosened with a 1 1/8" socket and 1/2" breaker bar. I then tried to get the transmission mainshaft nut loose but it looks like its a 1 3/16" nut. The 1 1/8" was to small and the 1 1/4" was to big to fit the nut. Anyone that has taken the transmission mainshaft nut off and can confirm the size of the nut would very helpful since I will need to buy the right size tomorrow to get the nut off to finish disassembling the bike to ready to put the new stator in.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
i want to say its a 32mm. i dont remember buying any sockets when i changed mine. i know for a fact that i have two 32mm sockets in my toolbox because i used to change half-axles in my civic every other day (it seems).

Old 09-12-2011, 11:25 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

be sure to check that it is connected... sometimes the problem is a simple solution- it sounds like you did check this, but just want to be sure.

my buddy was having electrical problems (after charging he could only ride about 40 miles or so)- finally realized that his stator had been disconnected. reconnected it and his problems are gone.
your symptoms are definitely problems that could be caused by the stator.

Last edited by wanabe; 09-12-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Earnie1200C
Cruiser

Well, I called the dealership this morning and my parts were still sitting there. So I had my wife go and pick them up. They reimbursed me the shipping costs since they didn't ship them to me. When I called them about my parts I asked about the size of the nut on the transmission mainshaft and they said it was a 1 3/16". I went to Autozone at lunch and bought a socket to fit it and some Moble 1 75W-90 gear oil.

When I got home tonight I was able to get the rotor and clutch hub removed. The hardest part was removing the rotor due to the magnets. I inspected the rotor and magnets and all are in good condition.

The problem that I'm having is getting the wiring from the old stator pulled through. It runs behind the cam cover and the oil lines and I can't get the wires to pull through. I removed the front sprocket cover and it makes it slightly easier to see where the wires run but not good enough to get them out. I don't know if pulling the starter will help or not. If anyone has any tips on how to get the wiring out and running the new stator wires I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Earnie

Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Earnie...I don't understand your question about the wires to the stator. I've replaced 3 stators on my 06 Sporty. I'm pretty familiar with the process. Give me some more information.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Earnie1200C
Cruiser

Hi SportyPig,

Sorry for explaining it very well. The problem I'm having is I can't get the wires from the old stator to feed backwards to remove the stator. It looks like to me the wires run behind the three oil lines behind the front sprocket. I can't pull the wires out. It feels like they are stuck somewhere behind the oil lines.

Since you have replaced the stator before, how did you get the wires pulled out from around the engine and through the hole where the grommet fits?

Thanks,

Earnie

Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The plug is probably hung up on something under the bike. Could also be the wires are zip tied under the bike.
The rubber grommet should be part of the new stator and can be pulled out with some pliers. It comes out towared the inside of the primary case.
Since its the old stator your trying to remove, you know you can just cut the wire and pull part of it out under the bike

Last edited by xFreebirdx; 09-14-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 AM
DENGUY
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...........stators are dropping like flies. Had mine replaced a month ago.

Quick Reply: Possible bad stator, looking for verification