Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED review for 2012 883 Iron A++

Old 10-01-2011, 06:50 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default XIED review for 2012 883 Iron A++

Hello Fellow XL riders.

I just wanted to put this out there, today I received and installed a set of XIEDs from Nightrider for my 2012 Iron 883.

The bike is 100% stock in terms of the engine/intake/exhaust, and while I had originally intended to install these with my incoming set of cycle shack slip ons, I changed my mind and installed them today on the stock setup, just to see exactly what I noticed from the XIEDs.

I rode about 20 miles today [spent most of the day at a motorcycle show where my Iron took third place :-)], and noticed the following:

1) The bike idles a bit smoother
2) Roll on throttle response is smoother and more energetic
3) It feels as if I may have gained some power down low, for example if I roll on the throttle in 3rd gear at 40mph, I notice that the bike definitely *feels* faster (but the butt dyno has been known to be unreliable in the past).

I wasn't expecting a dramatic improvement in the bike, but I was hoping to notice a difference and I definitely do. It is very similar to how a high mileage car feels after you give it a really good injector cleaning and a set of new spark plugs, its not a new car, but you get this sense of "man that is how it always should have run".

Overall I think this is a great $100 mod to make an EFI harley run a bit richer, because a closed loop target of 14.6 is just way to lean in my opinion.

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 10-01-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for that review, I have been wanting to get input regarding the Xieds on a new Sportster

Old 10-01-2011, 08:24 PM
GudOlBoy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up! I just put on the x14ieds with a Rush Shorty exhaust and noticed basicly the same things. Not sure how much is pipes and how much is the x14. I havent checked the plugs yet but will soon to compare to stock. I may switch to the xied after I get my AC and check plugs again. But yeah awsome product for the $.

Last edited by GudOlBoy; 10-01-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:15 PM
VBdiver
Cruiser
Default x14ied 's

I installed them in my 883L after Python slip-ons & Arlen Super Sucker . Idles better , doesn't run as hot ,no more surge at low speeds , happy with performance . Did it they add more horsepower ? I doubt it .
I think it was more a compliment to increased breathing of the other mods. Well worth the $100 .

Old 10-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed the Vied on Friday in conjunction with the MReed air cleaner mod I just finished. I got the Vied instead of the x14 or the xied just because I like to fxxk with stuff and wanted the ability to fine tune things if necessary. It's probably not, but what the hell. After putting on the new breather and the Vied (very easy install) I got out for a very short ride to test it right before it started to rain for two straight days. So my analysis is highly limited. I have to say that the bike ran great before the mod and in the ten miles I rode after the install it ran as good and maybe a bit better than before. I seemed to notice many of the same things as Para and VB did. Was that due to the breather or the Vied? Who knows. Wishful thinking? Maybe. Did it run cooler? Hard to tell now that the temps up here have started to drop.

I am looking forward to some sunny weather this week to hopefully do a more thorough evaluation. But if nothing else, I think the $120 was worth it in piece of mind.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 AM
GodIsStevePerry
Cruiser

I have the XiED on my 2012 Iron, as well, and it definitely smoothed things out and increase throttle response. These things are a great little mod if you don't want to or don't need to go with a full on tuner.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this has been explained a thousand times, but I would appreciate it if you guys could humor me. A buddy of mine is buying a new, well new to him, He's buying a used sporty. It already has V and H exhaust and SE breather. It does not have any kind of fuel managment. What exactly is the Xied? Opposed to the other things, ie: Power Commander, Vand H Fuel Pack etc. I appreciate any explanation.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:45 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
I know this has been explained a thousand times, but I would appreciate it if you guys could humor me. A buddy of mine is buying a new, well new to him, He's buying a used sporty. It already has V and H exhaust and SE breather. It does not have any kind of fuel managment. What exactly is the Xied? Opposed to the other things, ie: Power Commander, Vand H Fuel Pack etc. I appreciate any explanation.
Just another gizmo to fool the ECM into adding more fuel. It's the least expensive of the gizmos. Hope that helps

Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
Check out their site. It explains them better then I can.
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

I think that it's about time I pick one up for my iron ... How was the install pretty straight forward ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XIED review for 2012 883 Iron A++