Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 46and2
Cool, looking forward to seeing the rest.
Me to 46. I feel like quiting my day job to get this done sooner. But then I'd end up divorced and broke, so... lol

Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by Toast1148
Awesome job!
Thanks Toast!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Awesome job!!..

Hey.. I see you are planning on internally routing the cables through the frame... I did that also.. it is a lot of work... here is a link to a thread where some ideas were discussed (including an untested idea by me which requires no drilling / rerouting through the frame)..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...al-wiring.html

I am itching to start working on the front end.. but I have to replace the brake pads first.. at 24K miles the pads are in bad shape.. :-(

again, great job!!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by joebotics
Awesome job!!..

Hey.. I see you are planning on internally routing the cables through the frame... I did that also.. it is a lot of work... here is a link to a thread where some ideas were discussed (including an untested idea by me which requires no drilling / rerouting through the frame)..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...al-wiring.html

I am itching to start working on the front end.. but I have to replace the brake pads first.. at 24K miles the pads are in bad shape.. :-(

again, great job!!
Out-friggen-standing man. Thanks for the info. I haven't really given the internal wiring thing a lot of thought yet due to all the focus on the frame and engine. Just seems like a logical thing to do with the bike completely torn down and all. But if there's anything that scares me more than chopping the frame it's screwin around with the wiring harness. Of course, tearing the bike completely down, pulling the cases off the motor...ain't none of this stuff for the faint of heart. On the other hand, chopping the frame was really a piece of cake given the expert assistance I'm getting from the son-in-law. I just have to decide if the end result is worth spending the time to do it. Your idea has merit as well and might be a much quicker route to go, so I'll have to weigh my options carefully. Thanks again Joe. I appreciate you jumping in on this.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:06 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Too much fun... too little time, huh Ergo?... :-)

Yeah.. the less you mess with the cabling, the better, let me know once you start planning on working on the cables and I'll be glad to help...

Old 11-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Ergonight
Road Master

Too much fun... too little time, huh Ergo?... :-)
Oh yeah, it's horrible. I'm lovin this stuff.

Yeah.. the less you mess with the cabling, the better, let me know once you start planning on working on the cables and I'll be glad to help...
Understood. Thanks. I will be in touch.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wow man, i'm super impressed but that don't mean ****, lol. you certainly got the tools and it looks like you got the know how so i'm anticipating the final result to be one of the coolest nighty's on the site. good luck bro, subscribed for sure!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Ergonight
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
wow man, i'm super impressed but that don't mean ****, lol.
No, it means a lot bmx. Thanks. I'm still learning, mostly from all you gize here on this forum. And this project is potentially setting me up for a huge embarassment come springtime if it don't turn out decent. But I'm trying not to think about that and just taking it one day at a time, one small project at a time. No matter what happens I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 PM
ahhwataday
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome work man!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 PM
J-Smitty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just joined the forum and I'm waiting for more pics. I was nervous about putting forward controls on my bike until I started reading your thread.

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover