Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just starting to mod my 09 nightster

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:38 PM
waverly
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just starting to mod my 09 nightster

Hey guys just thought I would share some of what I have done so far to my ride, and some ideas for the future. Got the bike as a left over last January, put about 3,400 mi on and am really enjoying it. So far I have put on a set of cobra slip ons, and the stage one air cleaner and re-flash - Seemed to open the bike up a bit, nothing crazy , but definitely a broader power band and a lil more grunt.

Cosmetically, I sprayed the the engine/ covers black with HD's texture black hi temp paint and it came out pretty good. I left the bottom of the jugs grey like it came, and I think it looks prety sweet this way. I also changed the grips and pegs to the diamond blacks and the larger diameter grips feel better to me, also a good excuse to lube the cables! Added the detachable solo rack and t- bags roll bag along with a la rosa solo bag for commuting to work and such.

My favorite swap so far though, has been the mustang vintage solo seat - literally saved my ***! I do a lot of running besides riding, so this made a world of difference when I am a little sore! Also splurged on a kuryaken (sp?) mustache bar with some generic pegs that makes a long haul really comfy. The bar isnt in the pics i attached b/c I would like to get it powder coated black so I took it back off for now ( it only comes chrome ).

Overall, I am happy so far. On my list for next is installing a superbrace, along with drilling out the lower triple tree and mounting up a drag specialties 7" headlight I picked up cheap. Along with that I think I am gonna do the Joker machine speedo mount and ditch the stock mount and clamp and go with reg riser clamps. Any input is appreciated!

Oh, and what do you guys think, should I put on the HD buckshot black heatshields? I am on the fence....anyways, heres a couple pics from the other day

Attached Thumbnails Just starting to mod my 09 nightster-dsc00840.jpg   Just starting to mod my 09 nightster-dsc00845.jpg   Just starting to mod my 09 nightster-dsc00834.jpg   Just starting to mod my 09 nightster-dsc00842.jpg  
Old 11-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Aaron48
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good man you should post a video of the bike running with those Cobra slipons workin.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waverly
Oh, and what do you guys think, should I put on the HD buckshot black heatshields? I am on the fence....anyways, heres a couple pics from the other day
I'm on the fence about this as well. I was gonna drill my stock shields (instead of buying the HD's) but I decided to ditch the belt cover completely and now I'm not sure if the buckshot look is the route I want or not. My suggestion is to decide what you want the overall look of the bike to be, and imagine whether or not the buckshot shields will fit with that. I've seen some that look great, but it's really your opinion that matters most.

How's that for being definitive?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Nice scoot - ditch the reflectors & think about adding your own tuner so all's ready for additional motor upgrades (i.e. breather).

Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Sport1200N
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waverly
I don't like the look of the buckshot shields.
Getting your chrome shields powder coated in black is going to be a cheaper alternative to buying the new HD black buckshots and it will look much slicker IMO.
I'm getting mine done this winter. I just don't know if I should save up for SE black slip ons or keep the stock slip ons and powder coat them black as well.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:14 PM
waverly
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aaron48
Looks good man you should post a video of the bike running with those Cobra slipons workin.
thanks. I'll see if i can get a quick video this week. I just gotta see if my camera or phone will do a better job! I haven't heard many pipes on a 1200, but I am diggin the sounds of these cobras- I have had them for about 3 weeks/ 500 miles.

Originally Posted by Ergonight
I'm on the fence about this as well. I was gonna drill my stock shields (instead of buying the HD's) but I decided to ditch the belt cover completely and now I'm not sure if the buckshot look is the route I want or not. My suggestion is to decide what you want the overall look of the bike to be, and imagine whether or not the buckshot shields will fit with that. I've seen some that look great, but it's really your opinion that matters most.

How's that for being definitive?
haha, thanks man..I think im keeping the guard on there so the buckshot might work, not sure yet. thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Nice scoot - ditch the reflectors & think about adding your own tuner so all's ready for additional motor upgrades (i.e. breather).
thanks. Is it a pain to remove the rear ones? Havent even looked yet, I know the fronts are an easy removal

Originally Posted by Sport1200N
I don't like the look of the buckshot shields.
Getting your chrome shields powder coated in black is going to be a cheaper alternative to buying the new HD black buckshots and it will look much slicker IMO.
I'm getting mine done this winter. I just don't know if I should save up for SE black slip ons or keep the stock slip ons and powder coat them black as well.
I might look into this, I am going to get my mustache bar powder coated so doing all at the same time might be a good route to go. If you think you might like more performance one day or a better sound I would say to save for the slip-ons. Look into cobra too. The set I have was a reasonable price and look and sound great IMO. I gonna try and get a video so you guys can hear 'em.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:49 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Nice! Looking forward to hearing those pipes.

I drilled my shields, it was a PITA, but they turned out good. I would do it again.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely like the rack and bag along with the solo seat. I have a pair of saddlebags, but i might switch to just a rack and roll bag on the back. Nice Bike!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM
waverly
Advanced

heres a quick shot of the cobra slip ons for anybody interested. not the greatest video but you get the idea i suppose

http://youtu.be/Z8h9Nau51dI

Old 11-15-2011, 12:22 PM
waverly
Advanced

Originally Posted by sioux565
Definitely like the rack and bag along with the solo seat. I have a pair of saddlebags, but i might switch to just a rack and roll bag on the back. Nice Bike!

Thanks! the rack and roll bag is super convenient and looks decent on the nightster IMO. between that and the solo bag I can roll with a decent amount of crap with me if I need to! plus the detachable rack comes off in a matter of seconds if I want a clean look, I just leave the bag attatched and pop the rack off