Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

late model grips

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 AM
l30bar
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default late model grips

All....before you shoot to kill, I have a 2010 48, I want to change the handlebar grips, I have read a few threads regarding changing them but all seem to be on earlier models..I am going to change the grips and pedals to the 'Edge Cut' collection

1. how do you get the 'clutch side' original grip off and how does the new one stay on.

2. how do you get the throttle grip off and is there any wires to disconnect..

or is this a dealer job?
sorry forgive me if I have missed the post about this...

Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut the grips off with a razor.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer

Oops sorry

1.cut off with razor. Some grips come with grip glue. You can use almost any adhesive. For soft grips: Glue, spit, adhesive, etc. Everyone has their own trick.

2. Cut it off w a razor or try and find a clean sleeve.
No wires, but You will have to pop the throttle cable back onto the sleeve.

No, not a dealer job. This is something you should learn how to do and is generally easy.
Cheers.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 AM
l30bar
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by $eventy2T
Oops sorry

1.cut off with razor. Some grips come with grip glue. You can use almost any adhesive. For soft grips: Glue, spit, adhesive, etc. Everyone has their own trick.

No, not a dealer job. This is something you should learn how to do and is generally easy.
Cheers.

ah. as simple as that then!......so when I undo the casing that holds the 'start/run' switches next to the throttle....I am not going to get a load of springs or washers pinging out that I will never find again :-)
erm you say find a clean sleeve?????....whats that?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer

Yup, pretty straight forward. Always have a tray ready for the "flying springs" but no..... should be easy if you go slow and just don't crimp any wires when clamping back down.
Harley sells throttle sleeves with the grip already glued on. They are a bitch to remove. A "clean" (no grip) sleeve will be easier to start with. Some grips just slide off, some with a little pressure, some literally need to be whittled off the bar. All depends on who installed/glued.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer

I don't know your level of experience so if you think it's a dealer job it may be. I wouldn't want to give advice online only to have your throttle stick!
Anyway, it would'nt hurt to lube the throttle cables while in there as well.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 AM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by $eventy2T
Oops sorry

Cheers.

I agree with the NOT A DEALER JOB part .. but not much more.

CLUTCH SIDE: you can cut the grip off or you could shove a thin long flat head screwdriver under the exposed end (the part exposed after you take the housing apart) and work it loose all the way around...a bit of WD-40 will help. If you have an air compressor, you can shoot air under the exposed end and it will be quickly and easily remove the grip.

The new one slides on and is locked in place with the switch housing.

THROTTLE SIDE: take the switch housing apart, it slides off. Make note of how the cables are attached. Disconnect them. Slide new grip on, reattach the cables, switch housing holds grip on.

You have 4screws on each switch housing. Parts will not fly out at you when you remove them. The job is simple. You should have detailed instructions inside you new pack of grips.

There are many threadd on this. I would suggest using the search before taking the first advise of someone leading you astray. Also, a service manual will be your friend. Get one.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Sseaman
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just at the stealership last week picking up my new bike, told him I wanted different grips, he said "oh that's a b*tch of a job, you'll have to schedule an appt". I was a little put off, after all I was walking out the door with a $20K bike and was willing to spend the $80 on the grips, I thought at least they could do was swap them out for me.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer

lmao. Leading astray? Other than your screwdriver(unsafe and can damage you or bike when the driver slips) and air compressor (because we all have an air compressor lying around). WD-40???? on a handlebar? Where the new grip is supposed to STICK?! lmao. No aybe you can tell him how to PROPERLY remove the WD before installing the new grip. Geez guy!
How is what you stated any different?
Anyway, I was assuming the OP tried the threads with no luck and wanted an easy fix. Cut grips. be done.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer

Grips can be easy to remove or a total bitch, depending on who installed them. Some just pop right off. My personal experience w new HD is that they glue the hell out of em.

Quick Reply: late model grips