Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Coil/Ignition Relocation Kit Needed Additional Modification

Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 PM
2fast4trouble
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DK Coil/Ignition Relocation Kit Needed Additional Modification

I pulled the trigger on DK's coil/ignition relocation kit without the tank lift. It took me about a couple of hours to complete the install. I went ahead and did a wire tuck on my bike as well. I did notice that the cover for the ignition switch was awful close to the fuel supply connector. I did not think much of it since everything bolted up just fine. After everything was done, I started the bike to make sure the bike was in good working order. All the electronics was working fine and I was very happy how everything went. The kit is awesome and would recommend it to anyone.

Here is a pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sst_photography/8148695846/
The very next day, I rode her to work. After 15 miles or so, the engine cuts out and I had to pull over. I tried starting it, the engine would turn over, but it would not fire up. I checked the tank and it had plenty of gas in it. I am clueless and stuck. I called my insurance company for roadside assistance. As I was on the phone with them, a cop pulls behind me and came over to make sure I was OK. He told me he was also a HD rider and that he could stay until the tow truck came. I told him what was wrong and he gave my bike a quick look. He noticed that the fuel hose was not completely seated on the fuel supply connector. I pushed the hose until I heard a click and tried to start the bike. She fired right up. F@#k yeah!!! I called the tow company to cancel the pick up. I thanked the cop and I was out of there. He was the coolest cop I ever met. I'll be doubling my FOP contribution this year.

I figured that I just did not pushed the fuel hose all the way to the fuel supply connector when I put my tank back on the bike during the wire tuck. No big deal. Lessons learned.

Here is the problem. It happened again today. I was riding on the highway and all of a sudden the bike dies again. I was pissed. This bike is one week old and it keeps dying on me. I check the fuel hose and petcock again. Sure enough, it wasn't seated all the way. Hmmm, now I know that it wasn't me this time. I concluded that the ignition switch cover hits the fuel supply connector and releases the fuel hose.

When I got home, I took the bracket, coil and ignition switch apart. I took the ignition switch cover and filed it down a bit, just enough to give the fuel supply connector some room. I used Locktite on all the bolts and put everything back together. I started up the bike and checked for clearances while the engine is vibrating.

Here is a pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sst_photography/8148663487/
Maybe DK can comment on this issue in the instructions for kits without tank lifts. I will check it and will follow up on this fix.

Just thought I'd share this for the better of the group.

Last edited by 2fast4trouble; 11-02-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 PM
IR0N883
Advanced
Default Lower ignition Relocation

DK also has a kit that relocated the ignition right in front of the battery cover.

Without a tank lift, this would have been your best bet to ensure clearance.

You can see it in this pic.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 PM
2fast4trouble
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IR0N883
DK also has a kit that relocated the ignition right in front of the battery cover.

Without a tank lift, this would have been your best bet to ensure clearance
If the fix that I did does not work, I may look into getting the F6 kit. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

2fast4trouble-

I am very sorry you experienced this. We have hundreds of these installed around the world with no tank lifts and never had a report like this before.

Perhaps there is a slight change in where the quick connect is on the 13's, not sure. But we will be researching this next week and make needed changes.

Again, I am very sorry for the hassle this was for you, and appreciate your feedback and pictures.

btw, very cool treatment on your 48!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 PM
2fast4trouble
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
2fast4trouble-

I am very sorry you experienced this. We have hundreds of these installed around the world with no tank lifts and never had a report like this before.

Perhaps there is a slight change in where the quick connect is on the 13's, not sure. But we will be researching this next week and make needed changes.

Again, I am very sorry for the hassle this was for you, and appreciate your feedback and pictures.

btw, very cool treatment on your 48!
No worries. Like I wrote before, I am very happy with your product. I am thinking that the way I tucked the wires may have moved the tank to the left a bit. This is just part of modding out our scoots, I suppose.

By the way, I re-read your instruction and you did mention clearances in there.

Last edited by 2fast4trouble; 11-02-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do I keep looking at it and thinking it's upside down?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine did the same thing with an 1 1/2" lift. But I cut out clearance on the ignition housing before my first test ride. 10 miles into the ride I hit a bump and 10 seconds later she died. Took me a couple minutes to figure out the hose was on but as yours pushing up on it made it click. I hadnt made sure the QD was fully engaged when I put everything back together after the lift. I know it wasnt the ignition key housing because I made clearance BEFORE the test ride.

The way these QDs work I dont see how a vibrating plastic housing rubbing against it would make it disconnect. You have to push up on the elbow and simultaneously pull down on the QD to get it disconnect. My guess is what happened (to me) is after I heard the click I quit pushing up on the sleeve of the QD and giving the hose a tug to make sure it was fully engaged. Give it a try, these things click before the sleeve is all the way up.

So I dont think DKs relo is what did this.........just mechanic error One thing you will notice as the months roll by is your key will become more and more difficult to insert and remove.......it will turn just fine just harder and harder to get in and out. I think that comes from the long hours of vibration. I dont keep any do dads on my key.....just the key nothing else. Eventually Im sure mine will get stuck so one of my winter mods will be a proximity start. As long as I have the key fob on me I can just hit the start button and she will start.............no more key.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:22 PM
2fast4trouble
Cruiser
Default It happened again...

It happened to me again. The fuel hose came off the fuel supply connector again while riding. Right now it is just an annoyance, but could potentially be dangerous if riding in the highway.

I already filed the ignition cover down, which gives it about a 1/4 inch of clearance from the disconnect.

I lifted the tank today and pushed on the hose until it is seated on the disconnect all the way. I tugged on the hose a bit just to see if it would come off and it was there solid.

Anyone else have any issues with the fuel supply connector quick disconnect? Any possible solution? Do I have to replace it? Should I shave the ignition housing some more?

I really do not want to do a 1.5 inch tank lift, but might have to do that if I cannot resolve this issue.

Last edited by 2fast4trouble; 11-04-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Like I said, I really dont think its the switch housing doing it. Was this the first time you really got on it and pushed on the QD then giving the hose a good tug to see if its completely locked? If it is......I bet it wont happen again.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM
2fast4trouble
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rog48
Like I said, I really dont think its the switch housing doing it. Was this the first time you really got on it and pushed on the QD then giving the hose a good tug to see if its completely locked? If it is......I bet it wont happen again.
Yup, it happened again. After lifting the tank, disconnecting, re-connecting, checking, tugging, re-checking, dropping the tank, bolting it back up, took it for a test ride and it died again on me. The fuel hose disconnected from the fuel supply connection. Man, this is frustrating.

So, I went back home and filed the ignition switch cover some more. This time there is significant clearance between the ignition switch cover and the QD. If this problem persist, I'll be contacting DK for some assistance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DK Coil/Ignition Relocation Kit Needed Additional Modification