Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 vs. 1200 vs. Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Codazzle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 883 vs. 1200 vs. Dyna

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, as I'm not yet in possession of a Harley.

Ever since I've wanted to get a motorcycle I've wanted a Harley, however, I've never been able to afford one (I only graduated from Uni 2 years ago). So, about four years ago as a student I bought an old, beat up 1983 Suzuki GS750T for a pittance. However, when pulling her out from hibernation last week some problems arose I don't think are worth fixing (as I was planning on getting a new bike next year anyways)

So, I'm now in the market for my Harley a year earlier than planned. The entire time I had my Suzuki I always figured I'd end up with Sportster when it was time to upgrade (I don't really care that they are the "girls" bike. After reading up on the forum a bit I see that description is not stopping anyone here either ). I personally think they are the best looking of the Harley's, and the smaller size actually appealed to me. I never liked the huge, hulking bikes I've seen driving around (just my preference).

When my Suzuki first died, I was leaning towards the 883 Sportster, but after mulling it over, I think I would rather pay more and have the 1200 (probably a Nightster) as opposed to getting the 883 and regretting not spending more later.

With that being said, I never really looked at a Dyna before last week. I guess the FXR and street bobs specifically. They look great (similar to a Sportster in my mind. Perhaps a more refined Sportster?) and have a little bit bigger engines (which I'm not sure I necessarily need). I've also read that many people consider them more comfortable on long hauls. I've never driven long distance but I would like to one day.

So I guess the question I'm asking is now that I'm leaning towards the 1200, would I "regret" not going for a Dyna for a little more? I suppose I should qualify this question by saying my Suzuki never left me "wanting" for power, and my only complaint with it was vibration on the highway (which was probably due to the state it was in as much as inherent problems with the bike)

Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Best option is to go out and test ride or preferably rent a couple of the models you are thinking about getting. See what fits you better and what you enjoy riding the most. I have a 02 sportie and can ride that thing all day long. They key is to pick the right bike for YOUR needs and then set it up for YOUR comfort.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 AM
vonh
Cruiser

I just got a "97" sportie xl1200c, put on forward controls, richie seat and alls good. The only girls bikes I've ever seen were owned by girls!!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

Like Uncle said, the only way to know which you will like better is to ride them and see.

I personally prefer my Sporty over a Dyna...my biz partner prefers his Dyna over my Sporty.

You gotta ride em to know which fits you and your riding style the best.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 AM
South JerseyJoe
Cruiser

^^ Uncle ^^
"They key is to pick the right bike for YOUR needs and then set it up for YOUR comfort. "

Yup like he said.
Everyone told me I should have bought a bigger bike, but the 1200 C is just what I wanted for my needs. No regrets here! Love it and still slowly changing it for " me ".
Harley has a " base" bike for every rider. Customize to your liking.
Welcome. Many helpful people here.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 AM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll echo everyone else... you are going to be best off test riding a few to see what "fits" you. It sounds like you would be fine on a Sportster versus a Dyna. I'm basing that on you mentioning mostly riding around town, with some shorter highway trips. Around here, at least two years ago when I bought my Sportster, comparable Dynas were $4k or more, and I was looking at 5 year old bikes. Not worth it.

One thing you didn't mention is your size, if you are a really tall dude, or heavy, a Dyna might give you more room to stretch out, but there are plenty of big guys on Sportsters too.

You would appreciate the 1200 vs the 883 if you do a lot of 2 up or highway riding, but I have ridden an 883, and while the difference in acceleration is noticable, once you are at speed, the 883 does fine on the highway.

The good news is resale is pretty good on any HD, so if you happen to get a Dyna and want to upgrade to a Sportster later, you won't lose a ton of $$$

Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM
littledragon
Cruiser

I have an 09 Sporty 1200xl low. When I am on it solo it fits me just right except it has mid controls which cramp me up as far as leg position. If my wife is on the back we are really cramped for room. We are uptight against each other with the stock sportster seat with a mid height backrest. When I bought the bike in January of this year it seemed like it was just the right size but I am rethinking that now. I love the sportster but think the superglide would probably been a bette fit for riding two up for us. Also the price difference which was a lot and had a big part in my decision.

Have to agree with fellow posters in that you need to ride them both and see what works best for you. Also consider if you are going to be doing a lot of two up riding.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
XLDutch
Advanced

Ride them all and pick whats comfortable for you. IMO i prefer the sportys for their nimble handling and quickness. But I did switch from sport bikes. XL1200 for sure. Spend the money now for the 1200 or wait and spend it later to convert your 883? It is inevitable.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 711 Likes on 328 Posts

To me its all about ergonomics. How tall, heavy, long armed, legged are you? Do you now or plan on riding 2 up or loaded with gear? Sportsters, no matter how many add-ons and doo-dads you stick on there will always be limited due to their size. I've had all 3 of your options. 1200 sportster was the fastest, 883 sportster was the nimblest and the dyna while not the most agile or fastest of the three did everything in stride and never left me wanting for more. I'm back to a sportster but always on the hunt for another dyna.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I say start with the 883 if it's the style you like. lots of options with the 883 for down the road. leave it like it is, turn it into a hot rodded 1250, or just trade up towards something bigger. really can't loose with the 883. the 48 is $2500 more than an iron. however if your buying used that is a different story if you can find a good deal. the $2500 difference spent at hammer performance will bring you a step above the stock 1200. plus if you can do the work yourself it is really making it a custom bike done by YOU. makes riding it even more awesome.

Last edited by IRON1250; 05-02-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: 883 vs. 1200 vs. Dyna