Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalls when given gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 07:58 PM
ejdennis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalls when given gas

I have an 03 1200C with 3097 miles on it. While I was in Iraq, my bike was in storage. It hasn't been on the road in over a year. I put a new battery in and tried starting it up. I was able to get it started, but it ran poorly, so I checked the spark plugs, drained the gas, and put in new gas. Now I can get it to start and idle, but when I give it any gas it stalls. I searched the forum and shop manual, but can't come up with what to check or do next. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ed

Old 08-27-2005, 08:30 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts
Default RE: Stalls when given gas

ORIGINAL: ejdennis

I have an 03 1200C with 3097 miles on it. While I was in Iraq, my bike was in storage. It hasn't been on the road in over a year. I put a new battery in and tried starting it up. I was able to get it started, but it ran poorly, so I checked the spark plugs, drained the gas, and put in new gas. Now I can get it to start and idle, but when I give it any gas it stalls. I searched the forum and shop manual, but can't come up with what to check or do next. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ed
If you had the original gas in it while it was stored, your carb is probably all gummed up.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:24 PM
CntryFun
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the gas first, and if that ain't it, then check your jets. I'd say a good carb cleaning, and make sure nothing is blocking the jets.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with Pococj

Old 08-28-2005, 02:41 AM
hard_head
Tourer

gotta take that carb apart and clean up the needle and prob readjust the float - just buy a basic rebuild kit and do it right the first time, save some agony over gaskets that might have dry rotted and get back riding. and welcome home.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:06 PM
ejdennis
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice. I have been busy the last couple of days working on all the suggestions. After a thorought cleaning, trip to the HD store, and some more work, I am a little further along. I wil put everything in order

1. After the post, I cleaned the carb and still had the same problem. Then I checked all the vacuum lines, fuel filter, float measurement, and cleaned it again.

2. Next day, I went to the HD dealership and walked out with everything but the slow idle jet for a rebuild. I rebuilt the carb with a Dynojet kit (DJ 170), drilled vacuum piston slide, set jet needle at 3 from top with washers, and thunder nozzle with ball bearing and weight. I drilled out the air/fuel plug, put it in, and backed it out 2 1/2 turns (as far as it wants to go). Now have no problems with the idle or giving it gas while sitting still with the choke on. But, I have no power for acceleration and it dies when given a lot of gas. No matter what it dies with the choke off. Given that the choke had to be on I figured that I would put the DJ 180 in. I still have the same problem.

3. Tomorrow, I plan to try and get it idling properly without the choke. Then I will change nozzles and adjust the jet needle as recommended.

I have read most of the DIY on carbs, and now know a lot more about CV carbs than I ever thought I would. The only modifications are punched out stock exhaust, drilled out air filter box, and the Dynojet. Am I going in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ed

Old 08-31-2005, 01:55 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if you get it back together and still have problems take a look at the petcock, if im not mistaken it is vaccuum operated and can fail.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:35 AM
ejdennis
Intermediate

I disconnected the vacuum line to the pet **** when I drained the gas a couple different times. When I hook up a vacuum pump, the gas flows freely. One other thing I plan to do is check the seals around the air intakes again. Thanks for the tip.

Sincerely,

Ed

Old 09-02-2005, 12:20 AM
ejdennis
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the help and advice. I finally have my bike running right, and learned a lot working on the carb. Now I have a lot of cleaning to do.

Ed