Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

883 heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 PM
jasonryen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 883 heads

I'm thinking about picking up some 883 heads off a 09 super low for $50. The bike had 6500 miles on it when converted to 1200. I just recently had the SE Stage 2 883 to 1200 kit installed using my stock iron 883 heads. Was thinking about picking these up since their cheap and sending them to hammer dan for some work.

So what do you guys think the silver powder coat heads will look like on an iron? Check out my pics, but if for some reason you can't, it all looks stock except I have the denim black fenders with the silver denim tank. Thinking the silver heads would tie in with my tank(need to do something different with those rocker covers though), and maybe throw my bike a different and sorta old school look. Similar to the blackline, although a little different. Opinions are hoped for and welcomed.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 AM
JB'R
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be able to powerdercoat the heads black. And IMO 50$ is not a bad price, actually a very nice price.

But do you have to send THESE heads? Don't you have downtime and can't you send your own heads?That'll be 50$ cheaper and you won't have to risk not liking the look of the 'L' heads on the iron or even have to powder coat them.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:09 AM
jasonryen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JB'R
You might be able to powerdercoat the heads black. And IMO 50$ is not a bad price, actually a very nice price.

But do you have to send THESE heads? Don't you have downtime and can't you send your own heads?That'll be 50$ cheaper and you won't have to risk not liking the look of the 'L' heads on the iron or even have to powder coat them.
All good logic there JB'R, wish I would've thought like that in the beginning. But, I didn't . So, the SE Stage 2 kit is installed(with my stock heads off the iron), and it's designed to work with stock 883 heads. Therefore, I'm okay with what I've got, and I just found these silver 883 heads today. I get the stock 883 cylinders, pistons, and heads for $50 . Now of course I won't need the cylinders and pistons(I've already got those), but I can have the silver heads worked on at my convenience and as $ will allow, but still ride my bike with my new kit. Then if I do install them I can do so maybe next winter, re-worked or not. Because honestly, performance is a factor, but the look could be a nice bonus. I may use them in the stock form because the kit I had installed will allow that, and I'll get a unique look. Just some thoughts since I found this great deal on some heads. Not gonna pass on the heads, just don't have a real game plan for them yet. Would love to have some light head work done! And, if I don't end up needing or using them, surely someone would like some 883 heads for head work for $50!

Old 12-26-2013, 03:51 PM
gt4daddy
1st Gear
Default sporster cylinder heads

does any one know if the upper end of a 2011 8883 will fit a 2000 883. TY

Old 12-26-2013, 03:59 PM
JaySwear
Road Captain

I've wanted my heads powder coated too, but haven't been able to find a definitive answer on whether or not that was possible due to the high heat.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:44 PM
jasonryen
Cruiser

Not sure yet what I'm gonna do but I got those heads Sunday. 883 heads, cylinders, pistons, and cams from a stock 883L with 6500 miles for $50. Score?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonryen
Not sure yet what I'm gonna do but I got those heads Sunday. 883 heads, cylinders, pistons, and cams from a stock 883L with 6500 miles for $50. Score?
What kind of headwork do you want done? And what cams you thinking?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 PM
jasonryen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Madnss
What kind of headwork do you want done? And what cams you thinking?
Light headwork maybe? Basically some headwork that would match up well and provide some performance increase with my SE stage 2 kit. The cams in that kit are SE performance bolt on, .551 lift. That kit also runs the SE 10:1 pistons. Honestly madnss, I'm gonna run the SE stage 2 kit with my stock 883 heads first, and see how much I like it. Then, maybe go with some headwork to add a little extra. Wanna try to keep it versatile across the powerband. Not looking for all top end. I ride mostly in the mid rpm range so I wanna continue to build to best increase performance in that range. Not sure how much sense this makes so take it easy on me!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:03 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,688 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Sounds like a reasonable path to take. You already upgraded your bike, ride it for a while and see how you like it. For $50 and all you got for that, who cares? You can use it, or sell it, no worries. Kind of a nice problem to have.

My buddy changed too many engine things at once on his bike (IMO), it was not a good experience for him. I'd rather make informed performance changes if given the choice.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 12-26-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 571 Posts

It's a huge myth about having big top end hp and losing lower to mid power. Well....at least when done properly. In my opinion, the exhaust you choose will put the power where you want it.

A 100hp bike is just as reliable as stock if done properly.

In other words.....its very tough to build an 80/90 hp bike that is going to have more lower end grunt then let's say a 100 to 115 hp bike.

Quick Reply: 883 heads