The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: ECM that has been flashed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 01:49 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts
Default ECM that has been flashed

Hope I got the terminology right. I have a 08 UC that has a 103 in it now.
I have a PC5 that was mapped with what I knew about the bike, well didn't get the right info.

My question is can the OEM ECM be reprogrammed, flashed, remapped back to the stock settings , map ?

If possible will it have to be done by a dealer?

Terminology gets me in trouble a lot.

Certainly do appreciate your time and help

WP

Old 08-04-2016, 06:25 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,411 Likes on 1,593 Posts

PC5 settings do not affect the map inside the ECM, only modify the signals going to and coming from sensors and components.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:32 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

to answer your question and further what RT said, just pull the PC5 off and you're back to a stock setup.

But to fix your issue of an incorrect map setting, maybe tell us a bit about the bike as far as what components are installed and what the bike is doing to make you think it's wrong.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:44 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Cking this morning and gotta head to work.
Will certainly add the info soon as I can, at lunch I hope
Thank You

Old 08-04-2016, 01:54 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

This is a bit of a story but I'll shorten iy cause I hate typing

Purchased a 2008 Ultra Clasic with a bad engine through an Indy here local.

Then purchased a 103 with some head work and cams and installed it.
I am told the motor was built for low end torque and to run cooler.

in have done some reading on the forum a PC5 was well thought as a rule anyhow. Read some post of others also going from a 96 to a 103 and a PC5 was used and the bike did well. Notgrownup had this and seemed well pleased.

Came by the PC5 used on the forum. It was suggested not to ride the bike with just a stock ecm to this 103. With some help I got a map on the PC5 that took into consideration the work done on the motor, exhaust. Stock headers with Rhinehart cans and k@n air filter.

Got her running and headed out for a short test run. The bike does Great at anything above 3k rpm or seems too. Below 3k the bike feels like it has an intermittent misfire or miss. I have chased a miss like this in auto's not so much bikes.

First thing I did was replace the plugs and read the plugs Rear looked to be way rich and the front was a little dark but nothing serious. Ck'd for vacuum leaks ( Can of brake clean) Plugs wires look almost new and ck'd that connections were seated good.

The bikes miss or not running right is most notable and consistent at 2500 rpm in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. 4th it's just lugging to much.

The Idy I mentioned as well as a good friend that is an HD tech that they thought the programs on the ECM and the PC% might be kinda fighting each other. I since learned that the PO (previous owner) had had a program done at a HD dealer. Contacted him for info NO help.

Gotta get back to work. Sure hope this is enough info to start some conversation to help get her going good.

Thanks for your time folks
Respects WP

Old 08-04-2016, 01:58 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Do you know if what the previous owner had done was a simple stage 1 download or did he have a full blown tune performed?

Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Do you know if what the previous owner had done was a simple stage 1 download or did he have a full blown tune performed?
Did talk to him He is a nice guy but has no idea about such things.
My bet is he doesn't have enough mechanical ability to ********** much less work on a bike or know what was done.

There was supposed to be some info in the bike when I bought it but none found. The Indy did what he could to find out with no good results.

WP

Last edited by WP50; 08-04-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:34 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

if I'm reading right the PC site and the maps available ask if the bikes ECM has a stage 1 or 2 or whatever program/map on it. I can assume (yea I know) that the performance of the PC5 can be affected by what has been done to the bikes ECM.

So knowing what has been done to the bikes ECM is of importance???

WP

Old 08-06-2016, 04:48 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

more than likely it's a stage 1 download if he gave you no tuning device with the bike other than the PC5. Yes it's very important to distinguish between stage 1 and stage 2.

Stage 1
Usually exhaust and air cleaner change and a slight modification to the tuning

Stage 2
same as above in addition to cams and a more aggressive modification to the tuning

Stage 3
same as above in addition to head work and a more aggressive modification to the tuning

Stage 4 (properly done)
just get on, sit down, shut up, and hold on

it's really not important to distinquish between a V&H 2:1:2 exhaust vs a Rinehart 2:1:2. What's important is picking the correct type of exhaust, stock, aftermarket 2:1:2, true duals, 2:1

same goes with air cleaners. unimportant is the brand, just that it's an aftermarket A/C assembly vs stock assembly. Having an aftermarket throttlebody changes things too.

Do you know if this is a stock HD 103 motor from a newer bike that he just slapped in there or is this a built 103 from the original stock 96" cases?

Old 08-06-2016, 05:17 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,333 Likes on 3,273 Posts

So I was talking with WP yesterday and he was telling me that the rear plug was looking bad, I mentioned to him the Eitms or Etims whatever it's called, told him to deactivate it or activate it to see if it made a difference.
Could it just be a bad map? My stock ecm had a Stage 1 and the Etims activated but as I was telling WP, my Etims is automatic and I can't turn it on or off.
I am using the same PC5 after my 103HO swap and it runs smoothly...
I hope you get it straightened out bud.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: ECM that has been flashed