The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

VA insurance not required and bikers subsidize this

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 10:54 AM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,763 Likes on 908 Posts
Default VA insurance not required and bikers subsidize this

If you look in VA DMV information you can legally register a vehicle without insurance!!!! You give them $500 in leu of showing insurance coverage and you are good to go!!! You still have no insurance, but you can register and drive your vehicle. Now because of this, for motorcycle riders, you will probably note that 1/3 rd of the cost to insure a full coverage bike will be uninsured motorist. Why so high? Because if someone without insurance hits a biker they are not going to stick around. They have no insurance and now you and your insurance company will have to take them to court. Oh, people in other states and the Police have no idea about this. Heck as I was getting new insurance quotes many agents didn't know this. I think it's time that we change the law. Talk to your representative and tell them that this has to end. I'll see if I can speak to the AMA, HOG and the antique vehicle clubs to get them to help.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:32 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

False, you actually cannot drive your vehicle on the road in Virginia without insurance, it is still required to have the minimums to drive on the road or some form of financial responsibility. Supposedly the police know if you have insurance when running plates. The penalties are severe for driving on the road without insurance, doesn't matter if no accident, a car or a motorcycle.

Virginia is in the average range for number of uninsured motorists, Washington DC is in the 10 worst though.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (11-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 10:22 AM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member

To purchase license plates or decals, you must certify that the vehicle is covered by the minimum insurance requirements or pay the Uninsured Motor Vehicle Fee. Insurance requirements also apply to antique motor vehicles. Your insurance carrier must be authorized to conduct business in Virginia.

Virginia requires the minimum coverage limits set forth in the Code of Virginia § 46.2-472.

Insurance companies may factor in their policy premium the driving record of any individual of driving age that resides within an insured's household. If you have any questions regarding the potential impact a newly licensed driver may have on your policy, you may wish to contact your insurance agent.

The $500 Uninsured Motor Vehicle (UMV) fee, which is paid to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), does not provide any insurance; it only allows you to drive an uninsured vehicle at your own risk. It expires with your registration and must be paid at renewal. If you are driving an uninsured vehicle and are involved in an accident, the other driver may notify DMV that your vehicle is uninsured as part of reporting the accident to DMV.

Self-insurance or Surety Bonds are special options for owners of business vehicles. Details are available at any DMV office.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oakers3:
Goose_NC (11-29-2022), M Oclaf (11-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 10:26 AM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member

Response. To purchase license plates or decals, you must certify that the vehicle is covered by the minimum insurance requirements or pay the Uninsured Motor Vehicle Fee. Insurance requirements also apply to antique motor vehicles. Your insurance carrier must be authorized to conduct business in Virginia.

Virginia requires the minimum coverage limits set forth in the Code of Virginia § 46.2-472.

Insurance companies may factor in their policy premium the driving record of any individual of driving age that resides within an insured's household. If you have any questions regarding the potential impact a newly licensed driver may have on your policy, you may wish to contact your insurance agent.

The $500 Uninsured Motor Vehicle (UMV) fee, which is paid to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), does not provide any insurance; it only allows you to drive an uninsured vehicle at your own risk. It expires with your registration and must be paid at renewal. If you are driving an uninsured vehicle and are involved in an accident, the other driver may notify DMV that your vehicle is uninsured as part of reporting the accident to DMV.

Self-insurance or Surety Bonds are special options for owners of business vehicles. Details are available at any DMV office.

So did you soil yourself when you read this???

Old 11-28-2022, 10:58 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

There is no tie to the $500 fee and any increased uninsured motorist activity in Virginia, as I stated, it is average and not a high percentage. So, it is not the reason uninsured motorist insurance is high.

Facts + Statistics: Uninsured motorists | III shows 10.5% and ranked 31.

As you so thoughtfully posted, it is still required by law to have insurance to drive a vehicle in Virginia.

If you are going to be an ***, I doubt many are going to join your cause.

Did you soil yourself reading the FACTS!

M Oclaf (11-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 09:18 PM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member

Go to their website. In fact I posted their info directly from their website. I posted that I wanted to change the law with every VA motorcycle club and HOG and AMA. I few of the responses from the clubs agreed. They said it has been going on forever but that cars are now worth more and parts not so easy to get.To purchase license plates or decals, you must certify that the vehicle is covered by the minimum insurance requirements or """""pay the Uninsured Motor Vehicle Fee"""". I'm adding this. The fee for Uninsured Motor Vehicle is $500. See at bottom in black bold lettering

Insurance requirements also apply to antique motor vehicles. Your insurance carrier must be authorized to conduct business in Virginia.

"""""The $500 Uninsured Motor Vehicle (UMV) fee, which is paid to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), does not provide any insurance; it only allows you to drive an uninsured vehicle at your own risk. It expires with your registration and must be paid at renewal. If you are driving an uninsured vehicle and are involved in an accident, the other driver may notify DMV that your vehicle is uninsured as part of reporting the accident to DMV.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:04 AM
HD_noobie
Road Captain
Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

For $500 you could just get insurance.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:14 AM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,783 Likes on 812 Posts

Not sure what the percentage of uninsured motorists is in Florida (assume it is VERY high), but I can tell you that in my instance, 50% of those involved had insurance.

Growing up, we always felt insurance was a way to protect us, should we cause damage to someone else's property. Seems with the increase in renters, there's less they need to protect so insurance is merely an additional cost for no real benefit to those spending the cash. And, worry about the other guy? Just watch the way they drive and you'll find out how much you matter to them!

In Florida, you don't even NEED insurance on a motorcycle! They don't even ask for proof when they hand you your plate.

Last edited by Tcrafty; 11-29-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Goose_NC (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 06:30 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,554 Likes on 3,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Oakers3
If you look in VA DMV information you can legally register a vehicle without insurance!!!! You give them $500 in leu of showing insurance coverage and you are good to go!!! You still have no insurance, but you can register and drive your vehicle. Now because of this, for motorcycle riders, you will probably note that 1/3 rd of the cost to insure a full coverage bike will be uninsured motorist. Why so high? Because if someone without insurance hits a biker they are not going to stick around. They have no insurance and now you and your insurance company will have to take them to court. Oh, people in other states and the Police have no idea about this. Heck as I was getting new insurance quotes many agents didn't know this. I think it's time that we change the law. Talk to your representative and tell them that this has to end. I'll see if I can speak to the AMA, HOG and the antique vehicle clubs to get them to help.

Actually, if an uninsured car hits you, you don't sue them to get your bike fixed. Your insurance company fixes your bike.

That is covered by the requirement in VA that those who do have insurance are required to have the uninsured rider on their plan.

I think you quote that the uninsured is 1/3 of the policy is way too high. Least in all my experiences it is.

My opinion is VA decided they can't make people buy insurance. (Go figure ). Problem is most need a car to function and get ahead in our system. So they make everyone cover for them while they move up and hopefully buy a new car and the loan people will require them to buy insurance.

Of course it doesn't work out for all.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:37 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,650 Likes on 5,190 Posts

In many states they do not really enforce not having insurance. Considered racist here so tickets or enforcement only happens to selected groups.
When one of them hits you . Judge will tell you that is why you carry insurance.
All the do to register is show a faked one on the phone good to go.

Quick Reply: VA insurance not required and bikers subsidize this