The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Change motor--new Colorado title

Old 11-07-2008, 10:21 AM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,963 Likes on 1,203 Posts
Angry Change motor--new Colorado title

I recently purchased a used Fatboy with newer motor. AFTER I paid and titled it the guy I bought it from said that he has been going through the process of notifying the title department of the new motor. Due to me already transferring the title they said that I had to finish the process, fill out one paper and pay $3.50. I was a little pissed but went out to do it. I got down to the clerk and recorder I find there is MORE to it. He did have the proper paper work done BUT I have to have the state patrol come out and stamp a new serial number on the frame and re-title the bike as a builder! If I don't and get stopped they COULD impound the bike. Not happy and I called my buddy that owns a bike shop and asked him about it. Said he has put new RevTec motors in many bikes and has never done that. I am guessing there is hundreds of "illegal" Harleys running around here. Any of you guys go through this BS?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a S&S crate motor in my Shovel. I guess I am illegal too...

Old 11-12-2008, 12:07 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it a motor from HD? Or is it an aftermarket supplier? Could make a difference with CO law. Doesn't sound right that it would be considered a "builder bike" if a once defective motor was replaced with a similar replacement motor.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member

It is an HD motor that was taken out of a later Harley that had an S & S put in it. They tell me at the clerk and recorder it is so they can keep track of stolen motorcycles as the motor number is suppose to match the frame number. I had a "79" FX and got stopped for a vin check and the cop said the numbers didn't match. He called in a found out the "79" was one of the rare years that motor numbers and frame numbers didn't match. Let me on my way.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:31 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member

They can't just change the motor number and issue an altered title? Seems silly to change the chassis/frame number, you may have encountered someone who really doesn't know and is "shooting from the hip". Try a different DMV office or the central one at the capitol. You may want to search for their website and see if such statutes are real.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:07 AM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Angry

It was my understanding from the guy I bought it from. (second hand info) that all that was going to happen is that they would put it on record that the motor had been swapped in case someone called for a VIN check. When I went in to the clerk and recorder the first gal was clueless. She went and got someone else that was "suppose to know". Anyway they have all my papers including the title and supposably sent them to the State Patrol and they are to get back to me in 3-4 weeks. Meet me at the house and "stamp" the frame. I thought the whole deal was a little ridiculous but that is the way the whole country is run now anyway.
On edit: Oh, she said that she was required to take my plate also, but being the nice person she was she would not make me go home and get it!

Last edited by ChopperBill; 11-14-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 AM
meepers
Tourer

wow... that is absolutely crazy. I don't even see how its a requirement that you notify them you replaced the motor, as long as you have the docs for the motor showing its legit, it should make no difference. If they re stamp the frame on your bike the value goes down as you will have state issued vin and not the actual HD vin. This would indicate the bike is a builder and pretty much kills the resale value. As there was no modification to the frame, you HAVE the original title with matching numbers, it really sounds like someone at your DMV suffers from Asshat syndrome.

I just did a search of CO DMV site, there is nothing at all that indicates that you need a reassigned vin, the VIN verification form has a separate line for **ADDITIONAL VIN** and has a space for a new motor vin, they should only need to update this info in their system. The only other time you should EVER have to mess with this, is if you retitle the bike in a different state.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
meepers
Tourer

additional info from CO DMV site.. They are idiots..

The main issue in getting a registration or title for a kit or rebuilt car is acquiring a vehicle identification number (VIN). If the vehicle is homemade, ******or the rebuilt model's VIN is missing or distorted,***** the state will assign a new one. The Colorado State Patrol (CSP) will then physically etch the number into the vehicle. (based on this, they have no reason to reassign vin!.

Colorado has a nifty information sheet that covers each procedure in overwhelming detail. The document is a bit bewildering, and covers more ground (it is also for salvage vehicles) than may be necessary in your case, but is a good tool for form gathering. Here are the basics.

I tried to click their links, but they seem to be dead links, or my connection at work sucks ***** so bad its timing out.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...MV%2FRMVLayout

Old 11-14-2008, 12:51 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member

Again, the whole situation in the OP sounded too silly. Now the wait for the state police to return the title and other docs begins.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:48 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member

Yep, I think I got screwed! My whole problem was I was not at it from the start and was just doing the finish work. The screw ball at the clerk and recorder said he didn't tell me the whole story. Problem is now I am finding out that she doesn't know what the freaking story was. They have all my paper work so now I guess it is a waiting game. Guess if I dont hear back from anyone I can go and apply for a new title saying my old one was lost. Because as it stands now everything is still showing up as me having a clear title search.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change motor--new Colorado title