Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ridiculous......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 PM
salty_rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting ridiculous......

I have a 2009 Street glide that I just dropped a stock 2012 road glide 103ci motor in. Plus SE air cleaner and D&D boss fatcats with perf baffle. TTS and tuned. Picked it up a month ago and decel pop plus pop between shifting. Took it back and had it retuned + checked for leaks. There was one leak that was fixed and it was retuned again. When I picked it backed up its still popped. So I took it to another place and they checked for leaks and found none in the exhaust or intake. So then I took it to a second tuner and had it retuned by them. Same thing still popping. That's two people saying no exhaust leaks anymore. & 2 tuners tuning it. Still decel pop and popping between shifting. Any other suggestions? Anyone else having this problem that can't be resolved? Getting pretty tired of it. About ready to give up.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:13 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

More baffle or more gas on deceleration.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Decel pop is not so much a matter of a good tune vs. a bad tune, but more a matter of exhaust configuration.

Decel popping does Not damage your engine...it is simply unburnt fuel that is burning in the exhaust tract after exiting the engine.

Decel popping occurs when one of two things are present.

1. The bike is so lean the exhaust is superheated and is burning the unburnt fuel that is in the pipes (there is always some unburnt fuel in the pipes no matter how lean). This is very rare.

2. The AFR IN THE pipes is just right to burn the unburnt fuel. This is quite a common occurrence when free flowing pipes are installed (whether or not a free flow A/C is installed). It can also occur if there is an exhaust leak that is introducing extra air into the exhaust tract...but that seems to already be ruled out.

Also, check for intake leaks at the air cleaner and at the intake manifold/heads.

Another way to change the AFR IN THE Pipes is to install Thunder Torque Inserts. Not only will these reduce/eliminate decel pop, they will give a good boost in torque in the low and mid range.

If don't want to change the AFR in the pipes by changing the baffles or adding Thunder Torque Inserts....

It is absolutely possible for a tuner and someone who knows how to use it to tune the decel pop out.

HOWEVER, the methods used to tune the decel pop out of very open pipes are almost always at the sacrifice of performance and/or MPG.

An open pipe with the best performance tune is almost always going to have some decel pop. Bone stock bikes have decel pop, it is just muffled.

To get it tuned out, without just dumping a massive amount of gas in it, you will need to find a tuner that understands how to do it...it is possible.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by salty_rider
I have a 2009 Street glide that I just dropped a stock 2012 road glide 103ci motor in. Plus SE air cleaner and D&D boss fatcats with perf baffle. TTS and tuned. Picked it up a month ago and decel pop plus pop between shifting. Took it back and had it retuned + checked for leaks. There was one leak that was fixed and it was retuned again. When I picked it backed up its still popped. So I took it to another place and they checked for leaks and found none in the exhaust or intake. So then I took it to a second tuner and had it retuned by them. Same thing still popping. That's two people saying no exhaust leaks anymore. & 2 tuners tuning it. Still decel pop and popping between shifting. Any other suggestions? Anyone else having this problem that can't be resolved? Getting pretty tired of it. About ready to give up.
What does the AFR line across the bottom of the dyno chart show?

Old 11-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

The Boss Fatcats are designed for big bore motors. You may have issues tuning them on your mild build...

Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What are the guys saying that you took it to to tune it? A knowledgeable tuner should not have much of a problem getting out 90% of decel pop. You have the best tuning software tool that money can buy. Finding someone that can use it to its potential can be a challenge. There is lots of help on this forum. Go to the technical/mechanical section. In the fuel system, tuner & ECM section there is a sticky thread devoted to TTS. There are several people there that will be able to help you. Look for Mr. Wiz, Ultra Nutz, or Lonewolf. If you send them a copy of your calibration they will most likely be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to fix your problem. All three are very good with TTS and help folks all the time with problems like this. You will need a set of cables for the TTS and a laptop. It will be a good learning experience for ya. Good Luck!

Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 PM
salty_rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was hoping not to have to get a new baffle for the pipes considering I just got them.

Never heard of these Thunder torque inserts.. Are they actually anything of use?

I don't believe the boss fat cats are for big bore motors. I believe those are boarzilla.

And lastly the first tunner was very confident. And the second tunner was ultra nutz and highly recommended.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:12 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2012 CVO street glide. My self and others are or have experienced this.
I have spend a lot of time trying to figure out what I missed. I have checked and double checked everything. Intake, throttle body, all exhaust joints. Been dyno tuned twice. Still have some popping when changing gears at times, and on decel at times.
Bike runs great, a lot cooler running than ever.
All I can say it's one of those things.
I know the popping doesn't mean a bad map or bad dyno so I just ride it.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
I have a 2012 CVO street glide. My self and others are or have experienced this.
I have spend a lot of time trying to figure out what I missed. I have checked and double checked everything. Intake, throttle body, all exhaust joints. Been dyno tuned twice. Still have some popping when changing gears at times, and on decel at times.
Bike runs great, a lot cooler running than ever.
All I can say it's one of those things.
I know the popping doesn't mean a bad map or bad dyno so I just ride it.
Did you make that bad *** Superglide of yours a trike? Got pics?

Old 11-02-2014, 01:13 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by salty_rider
I was hoping not to have to get a new baffle for the pipes considering I just got them.

Never heard of these Thunder torque inserts.. Are they actually anything of use?

I don't believe the boss fat cats are for big bore motors. I believe those are boarzilla.

And lastly the first tunner was very confident. And the second tunner was ultra nutz and highly recommended.
You can do a google search or youtube search, we have thousands of very happy TTI Customers.

Here's an unsolicited email that we received a couple of days ago-

"I just got back from a test ride after installing the W118 torque inserts, the difference is amazing! So glad I tried them before buying new pipes, a true believer now! 2 thumbs up guys!!! Jonathan Lim"